1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with question

1. Jan 30, 2007 #1
    A bird flies in the xy-plane with a velocity vector given by v(vector) = (a-bt^2)(i-vector) + ct (j-vector) , with a= 2.4m/s, b=1.6m/s^3,c=4.0m/s^2. The positive y-direction is vertically upward. At t=0 the bird is at the origin.

Calculate the position vector of the bird as a function of time.
    Express your answer in terms of a, b, and z. Write the vector r(t) in the form vector(r(t)x,r(t)y , , where the x and y components are separated by a comma.

Calculate the acceleration vector of the bird as a function of time. also in the form as stated above.

What is the bird's altitude (y-coordinate) as it flies over x=0 for the first time after t=0?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2007 #2

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

I see, good standard questions... :rolleyes:

Let's see how you are tackling them!

4. Jan 31, 2007 #3
    Well, atiderviative will give me the position vector, but I don't know if I should plug in the values of a, b, etc. prior to me taking the antiderivative. Also I am not sure what form they are talking about.

For the acceleration the derivative is needed.

Not sure about the last question

5. Jan 31, 2007 #4

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

a, b, c are constants.

For the last question look at the position function, what can you notice?

6. Feb 1, 2007 #5
    I notice that x=0, so there is no horizontal motion. What do they mean by birds altitude as it flies over x=0 after t=0, meaning whent t=1. Also so since x=0 I only focus on the y componet of the position vector, which is (ct^2)/2?

7. Feb 4, 2007 #6

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

Look at the acceleration vectorial function, it's x component is negative, so sooner or later the bird will pass the straight line x=0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?