Help with revision - area integrals

In summary, the question is asking for a volume calculation for a cone and paraboloid object. The questioner is unsure if it is straight forward to do a volume calculation in three dimensions using the normal geometry.
Kawakaze
I came across this question on a past paper and would appreciate some help. It is too hard for me at the minute.

The problem -

The volume of a body whose surface is formed on the underside
by the paraboloid z = x2 + y2 and bounded on top by the cone
z = 3-2(x2 +y2)

(a) Explain which coordinate system should be used in order to describe
the shape easily, and transform the surfaces bounding the shape into
this coordinate system (if necessary).

(b) Find the equation of the curve of intersection of the two surfaces, and
describe it.

(c) Explain the order of integration of the variables to facilitate the
formation of the integral. State without using symbols or too many
numbers what the limits will be for each integration, and describe the
shape formed after each integration, starting with the basic cuboid
element.

The density of the material is σ(1 + ρ) where σ is a constant, and ρ is the
distance from the z-axis.

(d) Set up the volume integral to find the mass of the volume, M, and
determine the value of the mass in terms of σ.

(e) Set up the volume integral to find the moment of inertia of the volume
about the z-axis, and determine this moment of inertia in terms of M.

(f) Set up the integral to find the moment of inertia about the x-axis, but
do not evaluate it.

(g) Will the moment of inertia about the y-axis be the same as, or
different to, that about the x-axis? Briefly justify your conclusions.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey Kawakaze.

To get started, you should help us by telling us what you have thought about and what you have tried: even if it's only something partial and a few ideas rather than a fully fledged attempt.

Well, I am guessing cylindrical coordinates would make the easiest calculations. But I really suck at the conversion.

In terms of integration and calculating integrals, we have a well developed way of finding integrals that are expressed in Cartesian space (i.e. R^n).

For the Riemann integral in R^n, we have well established theorems if we want to calculate integrals and if the integrals are in a simple enough form, then it is easier to use the R^n system since the mathematics is a lot simpler.

You can do calculations and stuff in curved geometries (and this is exactly what has to be done in things like General Relativity in physics as well as things in engineering and applied mathematics), but if it's in R^n and it's simple, then its a lot easier to deal with.

One question you might want to ask yourself is for these given objects (cone and paraboloid), is it straight-forward to do a volume calculation for these objects if we use calculus for normal three dimensions using the normal geometry?

1. What is a "revision" in the context of area integrals?

In mathematics, "revision" refers to the process of reviewing and improving one's understanding and skills in a particular topic or concept. In the case of area integrals, revision involves going back over the fundamental principles and techniques used in calculating the area under a curve or surface.

2. Why is it important to revise area integrals?

Revising area integrals is important because it allows for a deeper understanding of the underlying concepts and improves problem-solving skills. It also helps to identify any gaps in knowledge and correct any misunderstandings before moving on to more complex topics.

3. What are some common techniques for revising area integrals?

Some common techniques for revising area integrals include practicing with a variety of problems, reviewing key formulas and concepts, and seeking out additional resources such as textbooks or online tutorials. It can also be helpful to work with a study group or seek assistance from a tutor or instructor.

4. How can I improve my skills in calculating area integrals?

Improving your skills in calculating area integrals involves both practice and a solid understanding of the underlying principles. It can be helpful to start with simpler problems and gradually work up to more challenging ones. It may also be beneficial to seek out different approaches or techniques for solving problems and to regularly review key concepts and formulas.

5. Is it necessary to revise area integrals if I have already learned them?

Yes, it is still important to revise area integrals even if you have already learned them. This helps to reinforce your understanding and identify any areas that may need further clarification. Additionally, revising can improve your problem-solving skills and prepare you for more advanced topics that build upon the principles of area integrals.