Solve Series Problem with Step-by-Step Help | Homework Statement Included

• Thread starter student93
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary: So in order to show that the limit does not exist, we would need to disprove this intuitive statement.
student93

Homework Statement

Problem is attached in this post.

Homework Equations

Problem is attached in this post.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to approach this problem at all. How exactly do I find what function an is? Also what do I do after finding an?

What I did was let an=n then ended up doing Lim 1/n as n -> ∞ and ended up getting 0 as my answer.

The correct answer is that the series diverges.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2014-04-02 at 9.16.46 PM.png
    Screen shot 2014-04-02 at 9.16.46 PM.png
    8.1 KB · Views: 420
Physics news on Phys.org
You do not need to find an, as there are in fact many different series that converge to e. Instead, consider the necessary criteria for a series to converge. What behavior is required of the terms an in order for the series to converge to any value ?

student93 said:
What I did was let an=n then ended up doing Lim 1/n as n -> ∞ and ended up getting 0 as my answer.

Once you realize that ##\lim_{n \to \infty} a_n = 0##, you already have an answer. What is ##\lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{1}{a_n}##?

slider142 said:
You do not need to find an, as there are in fact many different series that converge to e. Instead, consider the necessary criteria for a series to converge. What behavior is required of the terms an in order for the series to converge to any value ?

The only behavior that I'm aware of is that if an is convergent then, Lim an n -> ∞ = 0.

However I still don't understand how I can use that specific behavior of an to solve this problem?

Curious3141 said:
Once you realize that ##\lim_{n \to \infty} a_n = 0##, you already have an answer. What is ##\lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{1}{a_n}##?

That's exactly what I'm confused about, does an = 0, since its Limit at ∞ is 0? What I mean is, do I substitute an as equal to 0?

This is very strange. You seem to be confused about the converence of series and sequences in general.
Look at an example. You know that [itex]\lim_{n\to\infty} 1/n= 0[/itex] don't you? And that 1/n is never equal to 0?

So if [itex]a_n= 1/n[/itex], what can you say about [itex]1/a_n[/itex]?

student93 said:
That's exactly what I'm confused about, does an = 0, since its Limit at ∞ is 0? What I mean is, do I substitute an as equal to 0?

##a_n## isn't 0. But it becomes very small as n->infinity. So?

student93 said:
The only behavior that I'm aware of is that if an is convergent then, Lim an n -> ∞ = 0.

However I still don't understand how I can use that specific behavior of an to solve this problem?
Excellent! If [tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} a_n = 0,[/tex] what can we say about [tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \frac{1}{a_n}\; ?[/tex] If you are not sure, think about the epsilon-delta definition of the first limit, and consider what that implies for the term 1/an.
We cannot identify the value of a function with its limit! For example, [tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \frac{1}{n} = 0,[/tex] but there is no particular value of n for which 1/n = 0.

slider142 said:
Excellent! If [tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} a_n = 0,[/tex] what can we say about [tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \frac{1}{a_n}\; ?[/tex] If you are not sure, think about the epsilon-delta definition of the first limit, and consider what that implies for the term 1/an.
We cannot identify the value of a function with its limit! For example, [tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \frac{1}{n} = 0,[/tex] but there is no particular value of n for which 1/n = 0.

Would that be enough to then say that 1/an diverges?

student93 said:
Would that be enough to then say that 1/an diverges?

I haven't actually provided a coherent argument, just a question. If you answer the question in the right way, it would be enough. That is, if you can prove that the limit above is not 0, then you may use the contrapositive of your criterion (which is logically equivalent) to imply that the associated series of terms diverges.
To refresh, your criterion stated that "If the series [itex]\sum a_n[/itex] converges, then [itex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} a_n = 0[/itex]". The contrapositive statement is equivalent and is therefore always implied: "If [itex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} a_n \neq 0[/itex], then the series [itex]\sum a_n[/itex] does not converge."
So we only need to show that the limit is not 0. We do not need to know what the limit is, or even if it exists. However, if you know this limit's value, and it is not 0, you may use that information as well.
If you are uncertain when dealing with limits, you will need to go back to the definition. The statement "[itex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \frac{1}{a_n} = 0[/itex]", which we actually want to be false, is defined by the criteria that "For all values of ε > 0, and for all natural numbers n, there is some number N such that, if n > N, then [itex]\left|\frac{1}{a_n} - 0\right| < \epsilon[/itex]." Intuitively, it says "eventually, the distance between 1/an and 0 becomes less than any positive number."
We want to show that this limit is not 0, and thus we want to show that the above statement is false. One way to do this is to prove the logical negation of this statement: "There exists some value of ε > 0 such that, for all numbers N, there is some natural number n > N such that [itex]\left|\frac{1}{a_n} - 0\right| \geq \epsilon[/itex]".
That is, we want to show that the distance between [itex]\frac{1}{a_n}[/itex] and 0 can never be made smaller than a particular amount ε. The key to finding this particular amount is to use the fact that [itex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} a_n = 0[/itex]. That is, we need the epsilon-N statement that defines this limit and a tiny bit of algebra to show us exactly what [itex]\left|\frac{1}{a_n}\right|[/itex] is always greater than (at least once we get to high enough values of n, which is what N is for).

Last edited:

Related to Solve Series Problem with Step-by-Step Help | Homework Statement Included

1. What is a series problem?

A series problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the sum of a given sequence of numbers. The numbers in the sequence are usually related in some way, such as being consecutive or following a specific pattern.

2. How do you solve a series problem?

To solve a series problem, you need to first identify the pattern or rule that the numbers are following. Then, you can use that pattern to find the next number in the sequence. Once you have all the numbers, you can add them together to find the sum.

3. What are some common types of series problems?

Some common types of series problems include arithmetic series, geometric series, and Fibonacci series. In arithmetic series, each term is obtained by adding a fixed number to the previous term. In geometric series, each term is obtained by multiplying a fixed number to the previous term. In Fibonacci series, each term is obtained by adding the two previous terms together.

4. What strategies can be used to solve series problems?

Some strategies that can be used to solve series problems include looking for patterns, creating a table to organize the numbers, using algebraic equations, and breaking the series into smaller parts. It is also helpful to check the answer by plugging it back into the original problem to ensure it is correct.

5. Are there any tips for solving series problems faster?

Yes, some tips for solving series problems faster include looking for shortcuts in the pattern, using mental math techniques, and practicing with different types of series problems to become familiar with common patterns and rules. It is also helpful to write out the steps and calculations clearly to avoid making mistakes.