Understanding the 1 s Digit Rule in Unit Conversions | Helpful Tips and Examples

• Thread starter Dazed
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Unit
In summary, the teacher is talking about significant figures, and how they should be quoted in a response. She marks the wrong frequency on the test, and gives the student a comment about it. She suggests that the student learn to type faster, as he apparently is not good at retaining these key details.
Dazed
I did this question, and apparently my teacher has terrible english and I have no idea what she means by this response. Does anybody understand what she's talking about and possibly tell me how to change my answer so that it conforms to whatever "1 s digits rule" she's talking about? Thanks for any help in advance.

v = fλ
f = v / λ
f = 300 x 10^6 m / 0.08m
f = 375 x 10^7 hz(Hz)

She marked this wrong and gave me this comment:

"( here is where the rules for number of s digits are used, wavelenghtj has 1 s digits, therefore the answer for the question should have 1 s digit.)"

Physics news on Phys.org
she means significant figures I guess so your answer should be
400 x 10^7 Hz.

I think your teacher may be talking in terms of significant figures. i.e. the wavelength is quoted to 1sf and therefore the highest degree of accuracy you should quote is one significant figure. That's my take on it.

Edit: Guess I should learn to type faster.

The "s digits" likely means "significant digits", or "significant figures." The frequency answer should have the same number of significant digits as the number that your initial given wavelength had. This is common material in an introductory chem or physics class (I taught it in high school chem), so you should be able to look up this topic and figure out what is going wrong. Some people are sticklers for significant digits, some aren't (as long as you don't truncate the answer or extend it to extremes)... apparently your teacher is a stickler for these. It's good thing to know, as it eventually relates a bit to knowing your error in calculated quantities.

We all need to type faster! (say less)

Last edited:
Okay, that makes sense if by "s digit" she means significant digit, so that's fine. Alfred Bester posted this answer "400 x 10^7 Hz" could you please tell me what exactly you did to arrive at that answer?

Im very new to physics and I find some of these things confusing. I'm guessing you just rounded 375 to 400 so it would have 1 significant digit, (the 4)?

Dazed said:
Im very new to physics and I find some of these things confusing. I'm guessing you just rounded 375 to 400 so it would have 1 significant digit, (the 4)?
Correct, significant digits are the first non-zero digits in a number. For example; 0.08 has 1sf; 0.008001 has four significant digits.

Thanks a ton guys. Apparently I'm not good at retaining these key little details.

Usually my profs don't care much about significant figures, unless it is a lab report (many chem profs are picky with sig figs too). On tests and hw, 3 sig figs for all answers usually works.

But, in the professional world, significant figures and propagation uncertainty is very very important, which is why it is emphasized in labs. The precision to which you are able to make measurements is just as important as the number itself. There is a big difference between 0.50 m and 0.5000 m!

FAQ: Understanding the 1 s Digit Rule in Unit Conversions | Helpful Tips and Examples

What is a simple unit problem?

A simple unit problem is a mathematical problem that involves converting between different units of measurement. This could include converting between units such as meters and feet, or grams and ounces.

Why is it important to be able to solve simple unit problems?

Solving simple unit problems is important because it allows us to accurately measure and compare different quantities, which is essential in many scientific and everyday situations. It also helps us to understand and communicate information more effectively.

What are some common units used in simple unit problems?

Some common units used in simple unit problems include length (meters, feet, inches), mass (grams, kilograms, ounces), time (seconds, minutes, hours), and volume (liters, gallons, cubic feet).

How do I solve a simple unit problem?

To solve a simple unit problem, first identify the starting unit and the desired unit. Then, use conversion factors to convert from one unit to the other. Multiply the starting value by the conversion factor, and then simplify the units to get your answer.

Can you provide an example of a simple unit problem?

Sure! An example of a simple unit problem would be converting 10 meters to feet. First, we know that 1 meter is equal to 3.281 feet. So, we can set up a conversion factor of 10 meters x (3.281 feet / 1 meter). This simplifies to 10 x 3.281 feet, which equals 32.81 feet.

Back