1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with this integral

1. Jul 3, 2013 #1
    I tried Partial fractions,, I completed the square which is (x-1)^2-3 ,, but,, what to do with the numer 3??? i tried trig sub also,, didnt worked,,
    Any ideas on how to integrate?
    Is there a way to simplify??

Thanks a lot,,

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2013 #2

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Express the numerator as (2x-2) + 3.

Split up the expression. The first integrand is of the form f'(x)/f(x).

For the second integral, it's probably easiest to just factorise the expression, then use partial fractions. You may have some surds to deal with, but it's still quite simple.

Sorry for the multiple edits, I'm rushing for time and am doing this in my head.

4. Jul 3, 2013 #3

,, but why did you express it like that? (2x-2) + 3 thanks a lot, is see I can use use u sub since d/dx of x^2-2x-2 = 2x-2.. but i woul like to know how and why did you expressit like that,... thank you!

5. Jul 3, 2013 #4

Curious3141

Homework Helper

I hope you took notice of my edited post.

Why did I express it like that? It's just pattern recognition. I guess I just taught myself to recognise that form f'(x)/f(x) "hiding" in an integrand.

6. Jul 3, 2013 #5
    ? but the 3 , where did you get it from? Would you mind to explain me really quick? Thanks

7. Jul 3, 2013 #6

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

(2x-2)+3 = ?

8. Jul 3, 2013 #7
    Yess
    The procedure,, i would really appreciate

9. Jul 3, 2013 #8

Curious3141

Homework Helper

I figured out what f'(x) would be, then what I had to add on to it to make the numerator in the integrand.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted