Help with this Integration please

In summary: For @PeroK's suggestion:You're on the right track, but you need to simplify the expression. Simplifying the expression will give you the derivative, which you can use in a substitution to solve for y.
thaboy
Summary:: I just need to know how we got from the 'beginning point' to the 'end point'/'answer'.

The left side is where we start and my professor did a bunch of calculations so fast that I wasn't able to understand how he got the result on the right side.

Could someone help me integrate this? I tried u-sub, trig, but had no luck so far. The x on the numerator is what's messing me up and I think the bounds too.

Please see attached image!

Attachments

• help.jpg
    help.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 155
Physics news on Phys.org
thaboy said:
Summary:: I just need to know how we got from the 'beginning point' to the 'end point'/'answer'.

The left side is where we start and my professor did a bunch of calculations so fast that I wasn't able to understand how he got the result on the right side.

Could someone help me integrate this? I tried u-sub, trig, but had no luck so far. The x on the numerator is what's messing me up and I think the bounds too.

What about ##y = x \sinh u##?

PeroK said:
What about ##y = x \sinh u##?
Perhaps, but my professor said it'll take no more than a simple Calc 1 integration and it's been a while since I've seen that kind of technique

thaboy said:
Perhaps, but my professor said it'll take no more than a simple Calc 1 integration and it's been a while since I've seen that kind of technique
That substitution works and is a technique that every physics or maths student should be comfortable with.

thaboy said:

From your image:
1575322737595.png

First of all: You do realize (I hope) that in this integral, y is the variable of integration, and x is to be treated as if it's a constant. Right?

So the indefinite integral associated with your expression is:

## \displaystyle \int \frac{a}{\left( a^2+u^2 \right) ^{3/2}} du ##

Use trig substitution or @PeroK's suggestion. No way do we know what your professor's method was.

For trig substitution: Set up a right triangle with acute angle ##\theta##. Seems obvious for the length of the hypotenuse to be ##\sqrt{a^2+u^2}## .
I chose ##u## as the length of the opposite leg, ##a## as length of adjacent leg.

I used ##\tan(\theta)## to get ##du##. The algebra can be worked out without too much difficulty. Using ##\cos(\theta)## instead, also works out with similar difficulty.

Notice that if you use ##\sin(\theta) = \dfrac{u}{\left( a^2+u^2 \right) ^{1/2}}## to get ##du##, you get a rather messy result for the derivative of the RHS. However, if you make the effort to simplify that messy result, you find that the derivative is nearly the same as the integrand, ##\dfrac{a}{\left( a^2+u^2 \right) ^{3/2}} ##. It's only different by a constant factor (multiple). In other words: this (the RHS, above) gives an anti-derivative without actually completing the trig substitution.

Likes PeroK

What is integration in science?

Integration in science refers to the process of combining different aspects or components of a system in order to create a comprehensive understanding or solution.

Why is integration important in scientific research?

Integration allows scientists to connect and analyze data from various sources, leading to a deeper understanding of complex systems and phenomena. It also helps to identify relationships and patterns that may not have been apparent when looking at individual components.

What are some common challenges when integrating different scientific fields?

Some common challenges include differences in terminology, methods, and data formats between fields, as well as conflicting theories or paradigms. It can also be difficult to find interdisciplinary experts who are knowledgeable in multiple fields.

What are some strategies for successful integration in scientific research?

Effective communication, collaboration, and open-mindedness are key strategies for successful integration. It is also important to establish a common language and understanding between fields, as well as to actively seek out and incorporate diverse perspectives.

How can integration benefit society?

Integration has the potential to lead to breakthroughs and innovations in various fields, such as medicine, technology, and environmental conservation. It can also help address complex societal issues by providing a more holistic understanding of the problem and potential solutions.