How Do You Calculate Total Displacement in Multi-Directional Vector Problems?

• Thread starter Marioqwe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the conversation discusses vector diagrams and displacement calculations for a car and two beetles. The first problem involves finding the magnitude and direction of the car's displacement, while the second problem involves determining the magnitude and direction of the second beetle's run in order to reach the same location as the first beetle. In both cases, incorrect assumptions were made which led to incorrect answers.
Marioqwe

Homework Statement

1.)A car is driven east for a distance of 52 km, then north for 34 km, and then in a direction 35° east of north for 27 km. Draw the vector diagram and determine the total displacement of the car from its starting point.

a. Find the magnitude
b. Find the direction (counter clockwise from east)

The Attempt at a Solution

So I got a. using the unit vector method which gave me 49.49 for the y component, and 74.12 for the x component. The answer for part a is 89.1237 km.

Now, for part b., I'm doing arctan(49.49/74.12) which is equal to 33.73, but it marks me wrong.

Any idea of what's happening?

Homework Statement

2.) Two beetles run across flat sand, starting at the same point. Beetle 1 runs 0.50 m due east, then 0.80 m at 22° north of due east. Beetle 2 also makes two runs and the first is 1.6 m at 41° east of due north.

(a) What must be the magnitude of its second run if it is to end up at the new location of beetle 1?

(b) In what direction must it run?

The Attempt at a Solution

For part a., I am assuming that Vector A+Vector B= 0.5 i + 0.8(cos(22) i + sin(22) j) and Vector C= 1.6(cos(41) i + sin(41) j). Vector D would be the magnitude of beetle 2's second run.
So, it'll something like Vector D=Vector A+Vector B-Vector C=(1.24 i +.3 j)-(1.2 i +1.05 j)= .04 i + .75 j

And by using the Pythagorean theorem: .04^2 + .75^2 = .751 and once again, it marks me wrong.

What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Marioqwe said:

So I got a. using the unit vector method which gave me 49.49 for the y component, and 74.12 for the x component. The answer for part a is 89.1237 km.

Now, for part b., I'm doing arctan(49.49/74.12) which is equal to 33.73, but it marks me wrong.

Any idea of what's happening?

For part a., I am assuming that Vector A+Vector B= 0.5 i + 0.8(cos(22) i + sin(22) j) and Vector C= 1.6(cos(41) i + sin(41) j). Vector D would be the magnitude of beetle 2's second run.
So, it'll something like Vector D=Vector A+Vector B-Vector C=(1.24 i +.3 j)-(1.2 i +1.05 j)= .04 i + .75 j

And by using the Pythagorean theorem: .04^2 + .75^2 = .751 and once again, it marks me wrong.

What am I doing wrong?
For the first one, I think you made the wrong assumption. Same for the C vector in second.
Maybe this could help: http://id.mind.net/~zona/mstm/physics/mechanics/vectors/introduction/introductionVectors.html"

Last edited by a moderator:

For the first problem, it seems like you have made a mistake in your calculations for the x and y components. The correct values for the x and y components are 49.49 km and 74.12 km, respectively. This gives a total displacement of 89.1237 km, as you have correctly calculated.

For part b, your calculation for the direction is correct. However, it is important to note that the direction should be measured clockwise from the positive x-axis, not counter-clockwise from the east. In this case, the direction would be 56.27 degrees.

For the second problem, your approach is correct. However, your calculation for the magnitude of Vector D seems to be incorrect. The correct value should be 1.24 m, which you have calculated correctly. However, the direction should be measured clockwise from the positive x-axis, not counter-clockwise from the east. In this case, the direction would be 2.70 degrees. This means that the beetle needs to run at a magnitude of 1.24 m at an angle of 2.70 degrees east of north in order to end up at the same location as beetle 1.

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a quantity that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It is represented by an arrow, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing the direction of the vector.

2. What is a vector problem?

A vector problem is a mathematical problem that involves vectors. These problems usually require finding the magnitude, direction, or components of a vector, or performing operations on multiple vectors.

3. How do I solve a vector problem?

To solve a vector problem, you will need to identify the given information and what you are trying to find. Then, you can use vector addition, subtraction, or scalar multiplication to solve for the unknown quantities. It is also important to pay attention to the direction and magnitude of the vectors in the problem.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving vector problems?

Some common mistakes when solving vector problems include forgetting to account for the direction of vectors, using incorrect units or dimensions, and not breaking down the vectors into their components. It is important to double check your calculations and be mindful of vector properties when solving these types of problems.

5. Can you provide an example of a vector problem?

Yes, here is an example of a vector problem: A boat is traveling at 10 m/s north. It then turns and travels 15 m/s east for 5 seconds. What is the boat's total displacement and average velocity? To solve this, we will need to find the magnitude and direction of the boat's displacement vector, and then use the formula for average velocity (displacement divided by time) to find the average velocity.