Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hepatitis vaccine

1. Apr 2, 2003 #1

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I am wondering why it is that we have a vaccine for the Hepatitis B virus and not for the Hepatitis C virus..

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2003 #2

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I know hepatitis C only has been recognized in 1989 and hepatitis B has been known for a longer time. More information is known about hepatitis B so it easier to develop a vaccine when you have the rigth info.

Also hepatitis C is a RNA viruse and hepatitis b is a DNA viruse. Vaccine for RNA virus tend to be harder to develop du to high mutation frequency of RNA viruse. The influenza virus and HIV are RNA virus. There is a new vaccine for the flu every year (the vaccines are based on the projected mutation of the influenza virus) and there no working HIV vaccine yet .

Lack of info and that HCV is a RNA viruse migth explain why there no vaccine yet but I don't the actual reason.

4. Apr 3, 2003 #3

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thank you! That DNA/RNA story sounds very plausible :)

5. Apr 3, 2003 #4

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?