1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Here's a theorem about the tangent function

1. Feb 15, 2009 #1
    1. Here's a theorem about the tangent function. tan(x) = c iff 1: x = tan^-1*c or 2: x = tan^-1*c+n(180) for some integer n. Find a solution to tan x = 1 between 270 and 450 degrees.

3. I am not really sure how to go about starting this problem. I have only two problems in my homework, but no solution to either to self check.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2009 #2
    Re: Theorem.

The way I would go about solving this is to first find an expression for all values of x that satisfy the equation, and then locate the specific x that falls in that range. They give you the general solution for c in the first sentence. In your case, c = 1.

4. Feb 15, 2009 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Re: Theorem.

In other words, find one angle such that tan x= 1 and if it is not between 270 and 450 degrees add 180 degrees until it is. I suppose you could use a calculator but since tan(x)= sin(x)/cos(x), tan(x)= 1 is the same as sin(x)= cos(x). It should be easy to find one angle x such that sin(x)= cos(x).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook