Hermholtz Coil differential coefficients

In summary, the goal is to show that the first, second, and third differential coefficients of the B-field at the midway point between two rings is equal to zero. This can be achieved by finding the appropriate value of h, the distance between the two rings, and setting it to the midway point. This results in symmetry and the first, second, and third derivatives being equal to zero. The second derivative will only be zero for a specific value of h, which is the standard spacing of a Helmholtz coil pair.
unscientific

Homework Statement

I'm supposed to show that the first, second and third differential coefficients of the field midway is zero.

The B-field at that location is given by:
avqv4w.png

which is field due to a ring x 2..

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to differentiate it with respect to x but don't see how it equates to zero??

Physics news on Phys.org
That's not the correct expression for B. If one coil is at x0 and the other at -x0, then the field is a sum of a term with (x-x0)^2 and one with (x+x0)^2. Do you see why? Do you know what to set x0 to?

marcusl said:
That's not the correct expression for B. If one coil is at x0 and the other at -x0, then the field is a sum of a term with (x-x0)^2 and one with (x+x0)^2. Do you see why? Do you know what to set x0 to?

Sorry I don't get what you mean. The B-field due to a ring at distance x away is given by:
6nwj2t.png

according to Biot-savart law.

Then the B-field due to both rings in between both rings is given by the above expression multiplied by 2:
avqv4w.png

I'm not sure what the differential coefficients here mean...Do they mean that a point Δx away from x the B-field remains approximately constant?

i.e. ∂B/∂x = 0?

unscientific said:
Then the B-field due to both rings in between both rings is given by the above expression multiplied by 2:
No, you have written the field a distance x away from two rings lying on top of each other, or equivalently from a single ring of twice the current. Think about the situation: moving away from the mid-point brings you farther from one ring and closer to the other so the B contribution from one must decrease and from the other increase. Obviously your expression doesn't do that.

marcusl said:
No, you have written the field a distance x away from two rings lying on top of each other, or equivalently from a single ring of twice the current. Think about the situation: moving away from the mid-point brings you farther from one ring and closer to the other so the B contribution from one must decrease and from the other increase. Obviously your expression doesn't do that.

I see I see! So treating one ring as the origin, distance x away from the origin is distance h-x away from the other?

Yes, exactly.

marcusl said:
Yes, exactly.

so i differentiate it with respect to x, (Where h is a constant) and show that it is equal to zero?

Correct. All odd x derivatives of the field at the mid-point should be zero due to symmetry, and the second derivative should be zero if you have chosen h properly (or, alternately, you can find h that makes the 2nd derivative zero).

marcusl said:
Correct. All odd x derivatives of the field at the mid-point should be zero due to symmetry, and the second derivative should be zero if you have chosen h properly (or, alternately, you can find h that makes the 2nd derivative zero).
2qw1tso.png

I have found the first derivative. Is it right to say that by setting h = 2x (midway) and thus the expression goes to zero?

Do i do that for the second and third derivatives as well? (non-zero or zero)

I've managed to show the same for the second derivative as well.

Does this go on only for the first, second and third derivatives? or all odd derivatives other than the second? How do i show this relationship?

Last edited:
You can see that dB/dx=0 at the midway point x=h/2, regardless of h. That is because of the symmetry.
The second derivative will be zero only for a specific value of h, which is the standard spacing of a Helmholtz coil pair.

1. What are Hermholtz Coils?

Hermholtz Coils are a type of electromagnet composed of two identical circular coils placed parallel to each other and separated by a distance equal to their radius. They are commonly used in scientific experiments and in the calibration of instruments.

2. What are differential coefficients in relation to Hermholtz Coils?

Differential coefficients refer to the change in magnetic field strength produced by a Hermholtz Coil as the distance from its center is varied. They are important in determining the accuracy and precision of the coil's magnetic field.

3. How are differential coefficients calculated for Hermholtz Coils?

The differential coefficients for Hermholtz Coils can be calculated using the formula: dH/dx = (μ0 * N * I * R^2) / (2 * (R^2 + x^2)^(3/2)), where μ0 is the permeability of free space, N is the number of turns in the coil, I is the current, R is the radius of the coil, and x is the distance from the center of the coil.

4. Why are Hermholtz Coils commonly used in scientific experiments?

Hermholtz Coils are commonly used in scientific experiments because they produce a uniform magnetic field that can be easily controlled and measured. This makes them ideal for experiments involving charged particles, magnets, and other materials affected by magnetic fields.

5. What factors can affect the differential coefficients of Hermholtz Coils?

The differential coefficients of Hermholtz Coils can be affected by various factors such as the number of turns in the coil, the current passing through it, the distance from the center of the coil, and the magnetic properties of the material surrounding the coil. Additionally, any changes in the physical dimensions of the coil can also impact the differential coefficients.