Hey there,I've been learning about AC circuits recently and while

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of the voltage drop across a capacitor or inductor being greater than the voltage source in an AC circuit. The idea is that since energy is stored in these components, the potential difference across them can increase. It is also mentioned that the impedance of the capacitor can be greater than the overall impedance of the circuit due to the phase difference between current and voltage. The conversation concludes by discussing how the power factor must remain the same or less in these scenarios.
EEWannabe
Hey there,

I've been learning about AC circuits recently and while considering and LCR circuit it occurred to me; it's possible for the voltage drop across a capacitor/inductor/both to be greater than the voltage source itself however I can't think of the reason for this, any hints or reasons would be greatly appreciated.

The only idea I can think of is that since energy is stored in both of them the potential difference across them increases, but I don't think that's right

Physics news on Phys.org

If it's an AC circuit, would inductance have anything to do with it? Or maybe something about the capacitor being charged or not? I don't know enough about electrical circuits to help you I'm afraid.

Try posting the circuit and we'll see...

Yes, if you charge a capacitor in an RC circuit with a certain voltage source and then you disconnect the generator and substitute it with a smaller one, then you have the situation like the one you described, at least for some time.

Well I'm just considering a simple series RLC circuit.

Because the impedances of the capacitor and inductor cancel due to their phase difference, it's actually possible for the impedance of the capacitor to be greater than the overall impedance of the circuit. And since the V through the Capacitor for example is V(c) = Vo Z(capacitor)/ Z(total).

I don't see how that could be true though...

i think the problem here is in understanding peak value of voltage drop and instantaneous value of voltage.
it is in fact true that the peak value of voltage drop across a capacitor or a inductor can be greater than the peak value of e m f because there is a phase difference between current and voltage. but the sum of instantaneous values of voltage drop across all circuit elements is equal to instanteneous emf.

For a series RLC circuit, Z = R + iωL + 1/iωC. At resonance ω = √LC, the impedances of the last two will be equal and opposite, and the current will be determined by R alone. If the two terms are individually both large (not small) you will get a large voltage drop across each one, in opposite directions, which may exceed the supplied voltage.

Of course, as special circuitry(ie. transformer or other) increases voltage the current is reduced, satisfying the need for the power factor to be the same or usually always slightly less(losses).
Inversely, one can increase current with a required reduction in voltage.

The Power Factor MUST remain the same or less in these types of cases.

Related to Hey there,I've been learning about AC circuits recently and while

1. What is an AC circuit?

An AC (alternating current) circuit is a type of electrical circuit where the current changes direction periodically. This is in contrast to a DC (direct current) circuit where the current flows in only one direction.

2. What is the difference between AC and DC circuits?

The main difference between AC and DC circuits is the direction of current flow. In AC circuits, the current changes direction periodically, while in DC circuits, the current flows in only one direction. AC circuits also use alternating voltage sources, while DC circuits use direct voltage sources.

3. What are the components of an AC circuit?

An AC circuit typically consists of a voltage source (such as a generator), conductors (such as wires), and various components such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors. These components work together to control and manipulate the flow of AC current in the circuit.

4. How does an AC circuit work?

In an AC circuit, the voltage source produces a changing electrical potential, which creates an alternating current. This current flows through the circuit, passing through various components, and is then returned to the source. The components in the circuit can alter the flow of current, allowing for control and manipulation of the electrical energy.

5. What are the applications of AC circuits?

AC circuits have a wide range of applications, including powering homes and buildings, powering electronic devices, and transmitting electricity over long distances. AC circuits are also used in many industrial and commercial applications, such as in motors and generators, heating and cooling systems, and lighting systems.