Hi,I'm having difficulty trying to figure out the following

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about wave pulse travel down two different wires made of different metals. The tension and radius of the wires are given, and the conversation suggests using the formula for velocity, along with formulas for volume and density, to solve for the ratio of densities between the two metals. It is also suggested to use fake numbers to simplify the process.
elnino7
Hi,
I'm having difficulty trying to figure out the following question, I don't know how to even start it. Any help would be appreciated
The question is, wave Pulse travel with the same speed down two wires made of different metals. The wires are stretched between the same two supports. If the tension in wire A is twice that in wire B, and the radius of the wire A is three times that of wire B, what is the ration of the densities of the metals in the two wires?

Physics news on Phys.org

elnino7 said:
Hi,
I'm having difficulty trying to figure out the following question, I don't know how to even start it. Any help would be appreciated
The question is, wave Pulse travel with the same speed down two wires made of different metals. The wires are stretched between the same two supports. If the tension in wire A is twice that in wire B, and the radius of the wire A is three times that of wire B, what is the ration of the densities of the metals in the two wires?

Welcome to Physics Forums.

Do you know this relationship?
velocity = sqrt (tension/mass per unit length)​

That (and formulas for volume and density) should mostly do it for you.

Just a tip: sometimes it's easier to plug in fake numbers than to work it out symbolically.

1. What does "Hi, I'm having difficulty trying to figure out the following" mean?

The phrase "Hi, I'm having difficulty trying to figure out the following" typically means that the person is struggling to understand or solve a problem or task and is seeking help or clarification.

2. How can I figure out the problem when I'm having difficulty?

One approach to figuring out a problem when you're having difficulty is to break it down into smaller, more manageable parts. You can also try seeking help from others, researching similar problems, or taking a break and coming back to it with a fresh perspective.

3. What should I do if I can't figure out the following?

If you're unable to figure out the following, it's important to not get discouraged. Take a break and come back to it later, seek help from others, or try approaching the problem from a different angle. Remember that it's okay to ask for help and take your time to figure things out.

4. How do I know if I'm on the right track when trying to figure out the following?

One way to know if you're on the right track is to check your understanding by explaining the problem or concept to someone else. You can also try comparing your approach or solution to others who have successfully tackled the same problem.

5. What are some strategies for figuring out difficult problems?

Some strategies for figuring out difficult problems include breaking the problem down into smaller parts, seeking help from others, researching similar problems, and taking breaks to come back to it with a fresh perspective. It's also important to stay persistent and not get discouraged if a solution doesn't come easily.