How to Hide the Recycle Bin from Your Desktop?

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Desktop
In summary, the conversation is about using a wallpaper as an 'interstitial' slide in slide shows and getting rid of icons on the desktop, specifically the Recycle Bin. The solution suggested is to right click on the desktop and choose "Arrange Icons by" then "Show Desktop Icons". More advanced options for customizing desktop icons are also mentioned.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
I am doing slide shows and I'm going to use my wallpaper as my 'interstitial' slide, so I don't want anything at all cluttering up the desktop.

I've either deleted or hidden all my icons on my desktop with one exception. How do I get rid of the Recycle Bin?

Thanks.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Have you tried this? Right click on the desktop, and choose "Arrange Icons by" then "Show Desktop Icons"

... then there are appls for controlling desktop icons to greater extent, like in the wincustomize package, where you can ditch what you want, create new a bit more complicated desktop themes etc.

mattmns said:
Have you tried this? Right click on the desktop, and choose "Arrange Icons by" then "Show Desktop Icons"
Doh! Thanks. (Wish I'd found that before deleting all my other icons...)

FAQ: How to Hide the Recycle Bin from Your Desktop?

1. How do I hide the recycle bin from my desktop?

To hide the recycle bin from your desktop, you can right-click on the desktop and select "Personalize" from the menu. Then, click on "Themes" and select "Desktop icon settings." Uncheck the box next to "Recycle Bin" and click "Apply" to save the changes.

2. Will hiding the recycle bin affect my computer's performance?

No, hiding the recycle bin from your desktop will not affect your computer's performance. The recycle bin is simply a designated folder for deleted files and does not impact the overall functioning of your computer.

3. Can I still access the recycle bin after hiding it from my desktop?

Yes, you can still access the recycle bin after hiding it from your desktop. You can either search for "Recycle Bin" in the start menu or go to "This PC" and click on the "Recycle Bin" icon on the left side of the window.

4. Why would someone want to hide the recycle bin from their desktop?

Some people may want to hide the recycle bin from their desktop for aesthetic reasons or to declutter their desktop. Others may want to prevent accidental deletion of important files by removing the recycle bin from sight.

5. Can I reverse the process and bring back the recycle bin on my desktop?

Yes, you can bring back the recycle bin on your desktop by following the same steps mentioned in question 1. Instead of unchecking the box, simply check it and click "Apply" to save the changes.