Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Higgs boson lifetime and decay length?

1. Jan 13, 2012 #1
    I am trying to figure out how fast the Higgs decays and how far it travels in a detector at the LHC. Figure 2.5 in http://www.hep.lu.se/atlas/thesis/egede/thesis-node14.html gives decay widths of the Higgs as a function of its mass.

For a Higgs of 125 GeV, it is 0.002 GeV. Using the Heisenberg Uncertainty eq. lifetime*decay width = h-bar/2, I find lifetime = 1 zeptosecond. Is this correct? What kind of assumptions can I make about its speed so that I could calculate distance travelled?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2012 #2

Bill_K

Science Advisor

An easy way is to use the value of Planck's constant in the form ħc ≈ 200 MeV-f. This says that a particle with a width of 200 MeV will travel about a fermi before it decays. More generally the distance traveled is ħc/Γ. So if the width of the Higgs boson is, as this guy claims, 2 MeV, the distance it travels will be about 100 fermis. A highly energetic Higgs will travel somewhat farther than this due to time dilation.

4. Jan 13, 2012 #3
    Dear Bill_K,

thanks for the input. By using c in the equation, you are assuming that the Higgs travels at (close to) c, are you not? If this is the case, then time dilation will be a significant effect.

Marek

5. Jan 13, 2012 #4
    If the resonance peak is centred on the Higgs rest mass, and Γ << mH, then it will be slow.

Its momentum will be of the order

pH ≈ Γ / c

so, by the uncertainty principle, this implies an uncertainty in its position of

Δx > ħ / pH = ħc / Γ

which gives an indication of how far it will travel.

6. Jan 13, 2012 #5

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I think you will find that if it travels for zeptoseconds that any correction of a factor of a few does not make any practical difference.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook