Higgs Particle. Where are you now?

In summary, the conversation discusses the existence of Higgs particles and the role of the Higgs field in giving particles their mass. The conversation also delves into the concept of virtual particles and their role in the Higgs quantum field. It is mentioned that some Higgs bosons can be produced when cosmic rays hit objects, but the total number is small. The conversation ends with a discussion on the simplicity of the universe and whether or not everything in the universe has received its mass from the Higgs mechanism.
esmeralda4
So the LHC confirms strong evidence for a Higgs like Boson.

But does this mean that the boson only existed for a tiny fraction of a second at the begginning of time and give other particles their mass? Or are we all surrounded by Higgs particles all the time?

Many thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
hi esmeralda4! :smile:

there's a higgs field everywhere all time

that doesn't mean there's any higgs particles

compare it with a magnet: it has an electromagnetic field, but it doesn't give off any actual photons :wink:

(ok, it does radiate infrared photons, but that's only because of its temperature, nothing to do with being a magnet)

Thanks for the reply.

So are there any Higgs Bosons zipping around or have they all decayed at the beginning of the universe?

With the magnet comparison doesn't the magnet give of exchange photons when it is near another magnet or magnetic material? Or have I made that up?

What conditions are needed for a particle in the Higgs Field to emit or receive Higgs Particles?

esmeralda4 said:
With the magnet comparison doesn't the magnet give of exchange photons when it is near another magnet or magnetic material? Or have I made that up?

those are virtual photons

virtual photons are a maths thing, they make up the electromagnetic quantum field

in the same way, virtual higgs particles make up the higgs quantum field

but they're not really there (and you certainly couldn't detect them in any way) :smile:

Ok, just been reading about virtual particles. Just how complicated does the Universe want to be anyway? If I was to design a Universe I would probably have, like, two particles and maybe only one force and they would all be visible to the naked eye. And I would have non of this virtual, quantum, uncertainty rubbish...

Anyway,

Sorry to repeat my question but are there any non virtual Higgs particles existing in the Universe today (with the exception of any created at the LHC)? Basically has everything now got it's mass or is everything still and is always getting it from the Higgs mechanism and non virtual Higgs Bosons?

QM_is_actually_a_hardware_problem.png

:smile:

esmeralda4 said:
Ok, just been reading about virtual particles. Just how complicated does the Universe want to be anyway? If I was to design a Universe I would probably have, like, two particles and maybe only one force and they would all be visible to the naked eye. And I would have non of this virtual, quantum, uncertainty rubbish...
I would expect that this simple universe cannot produce any life. And no eye, of course.

Sorry to repeat my question but are there any non virtual Higgs particles existing in the Universe today (with the exception of any created at the LHC)?
Some Higgs bosons are produced when cosmic rays hit anything, but the total number is quite small.

Basically has everything now got it's mass or is everything still and is always getting it from the Higgs mechanism and non virtual Higgs Bosons?
Every particle [which gets a mass via the Higgs mechanism] interacts with the Higgs field all the time, which can be described as the interaction with virtual Higgs particles.

tiny-tim said:
those are virtual photons

virtual photons are a maths thing, they make up the electromagnetic quantum field

in the same way, virtual higgs particles make up the higgs quantum field

but they're not really there (and you certainly couldn't detect them in any way) :smile:

That's not necessarily true. Virtual particles are a mathematical structures used as approximations in perturbation theory but that doesn't necessarily mean they aren't "real". Whether or not our mathematics sheds any light on reality is the grit of this question.

1. What is the Higgs Particle?

The Higgs Particle, also known as the Higgs boson, is a subatomic particle that is believed to give other particles their mass. It was first theorized in the 1960s by physicist Peter Higgs and was discovered in 2012 by scientists at the Large Hadron Collider.

2. Why is the Higgs Particle important?

The discovery of the Higgs Particle was a major breakthrough in understanding the fundamental forces and particles that make up our universe. It helps to explain how particles have mass and contributes to our understanding of the Standard Model of physics.

3. How was the Higgs Particle discovered?

The Higgs Particle was discovered through the use of the Large Hadron Collider, a powerful particle accelerator located at CERN in Switzerland. Scientists observed the collisions of protons at high energies and were able to detect the presence of the Higgs Particle by looking at the particles it decayed into.

4. What are the implications of the Higgs Particle?

The discovery of the Higgs Particle has confirmed the existence of the Higgs field, which is thought to permeate the entire universe and interact with particles to give them mass. It also provides support for the Standard Model of particle physics and opens up new areas of research for scientists to explore.

5. Where are you now in terms of understanding the Higgs Particle?

Scientists are still continuing to study and understand the Higgs Particle and its implications. Further research is being conducted to determine the exact properties and behavior of the Higgs boson, as well as its role in the universe and potential connections to other fundamental particles and forces.