Calculate Depth of Water & Shielding for X-Rays (10MeV)

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the depth of water that an electron takes to stop at different energies, with an example of 10MeV taking 6cm. It is also mentioned that there may be a direct relationship between energy and stopping depth. The conversation also touches on calculating shielding for xrays created, specifically the thickness of concrete per MeV. The Bethe-Bloch formula and the absorption exponential law are suggested as resources for further information.
klystronman
how do i calculate the depth of water an electron takes to stop at different energies?
( for instance at 10MeV is 6cm) would it be a dirrect relationship?
Also i need to know how to calculate shielding for the xrays created. Thickness of concrete? (per MeV)
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
i was just wondering because of the international linear collider is such high energies:

klystronman said:
how do i calculate the depth of water an electron takes to stop at different energies?
( for instance at 10MeV is 6cm) would it be a dirrect relationship?
Also i need to know how to calculate shielding for the xrays created. Thickness of concrete? (per MeV)
thanks

Bethe-bloch formula

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bethe-Bloch_formula

and

http://www.medcyclopaedia.com/library/topics/volume_i/a/absorption_exponential_law.aspx

EDIT: Use the "edit" button if you want do add/change a post :)

Last edited:

1. What is the formula for calculating the depth of water for X-rays?

The formula for calculating the depth of water for X-rays is d = 0.1/E, where d is the depth in centimeters and E is the energy of the X-ray beam in MeV.

2. How do I calculate the shielding thickness for X-rays?

The formula for calculating the shielding thickness for X-rays is t = 0.01/E, where t is the thickness of the shielding material in centimeters and E is the energy of the X-ray beam in MeV.

3. What is the recommended depth of water for shielding X-rays with an energy of 10 MeV?

The recommended depth of water for shielding X-rays with an energy of 10 MeV is 1 centimeter, as calculated using the formula d = 0.1/E.

4. Is there a specific type of water that should be used for shielding X-rays?

No, any type of water can be used for shielding X-rays as long as it is sufficiently deep and meets the necessary purity requirements.

5. Are there any other factors to consider when calculating the depth of water and shielding for X-rays?

Yes, other factors such as the distance between the X-ray source and the shielding material, the type and thickness of the shielding material, and the direction of the X-ray beam should also be taken into account when calculating the depth of water and shielding for X-rays.