1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

High Power Pulse Propagating Through a Medium

1. May 12, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have been given this problem but I don't think I'm doing it right as I have just disregarded n0?

Calculate the maximum length of material (nonlinear refractive index n2=2.5×10-19 cm2W-1) that can be traversed if the total accumulated phase difference between the beam centre (Intensity I =1×1011Wcm-2 , wavelength λ=1053nm) and the beam edge (I=0) is to be less than 2 rad.

2. Relevant equations
    n = n0 + n2I

2πnL/λ = nkL

Φ(x) = n k L(x)

3. The attempt at a solution

I just combined the equations to get Φ = 2π/λ * (n0 + n2I)L

and put the numbers in but let n0 equal 1

So my answer was L = 3.35x10-7cm

I don't even know if I've used the right equations so help would be much appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2015 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What is the expression for the phase difference between the beam center and beam edge at any distance?

4. May 12, 2015 #3
    I think you mean the B integral?

B = ∫n2I(z)dz

5. May 12, 2015 #4

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not exactly, although you can still get the sense of what I meant out of the B integral.
    Just the expression of the difference between phases in two different locations across the beam's cross-section (fixed distance) which is needed to answer your question, so that you indeed are not required to know n0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted