High Power Pulse Propagating Through a Medium

In summary, the problem is to calculate the maximum length of material that can be traversed with a given nonlinear refractive index and beam intensity, while keeping the accumulated phase difference below 2 rad. The equation used is Φ = 2π/λ * (n0 + n2I)L, and the final answer is L = 3.35x10-7cm. The expression for the phase difference between the beam center and edge is B = ∫n2I(z)dz.
Mattman182

Homework Statement

I have been given this problem but I don't think I'm doing it right as I have just disregarded n0?

Calculate the maximum length of material (nonlinear refractive index n2=2.5×10-19 cm2W-1) that can be traversed if the total accumulated phase difference between the beam centre (Intensity I =1×1011Wcm-2 , wavelength λ=1053nm) and the beam edge (I=0) is to be less than 2 rad.

Homework Equations

n = n0 + n2I

2πnL/λ = nkL

Φ(x) = n k L(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

I just combined the equations to get Φ = 2π/λ * (n0 + n2I)L

and put the numbers in but let n0 equal 1

So my answer was L = 3.35x10-7cm

I don't even know if I've used the right equations so help would be much appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the expression for the phase difference between the beam center and beam edge at any distance?

blue_leaf77 said:
What is the expression for the phase difference between the beam center and beam edge at any distance?

I think you mean the B integral?

B = ∫n2I(z)dz

Not exactly, although you can still get the sense of what I meant out of the B integral.
Just the expression of the difference between phases in two different locations across the beam's cross-section (fixed distance) which is needed to answer your question, so that you indeed are not required to know n0.

1. What is a high power pulse propagating through a medium?

A high power pulse is a short burst of energy that is being transmitted through a medium, such as air or water. This pulse can have a high intensity and can travel at very high speeds.

2. How is a high power pulse created?

A high power pulse is typically created using a device called a pulsed power generator. This device uses capacitors to store energy and then releases it in a short burst, creating the pulse.

3. What happens when a high power pulse propagates through a medium?

As the high power pulse moves through the medium, it can create changes in the properties of the medium, such as temperature, pressure, and density. It can also interact with any objects or materials in its path.

4. What are some applications of high power pulse propagation through a medium?

High power pulse propagation can be used in a variety of applications, such as in medical treatments, industrial processes, and military technology. It can also be used in research to study the properties of different materials.

5. Are there any potential risks associated with high power pulse propagation through a medium?

Yes, there can be potential risks involved when working with high power pulses. These can include electrical hazards, as well as potential damage to materials or equipment in the pulse's path. It is important to follow safety protocols and guidelines when working with high power pulses.