High School Age 14 subject options

In summary, the conversation discusses options for a future career in science or a job unrelated to science. The suggested combinations include physics, food technology, design technology, and geography, with a focus on chemistry, biology, and maths. Option 3, which includes all three science and technology subjects, is deemed the best choice. Option 2, which includes geography, food technology, and design technology, is considered the worst option. Additionally, it is suggested that physics would be more useful than geography for a career in science.
Barclay
Hello, I urgently need advice on what options are best for a future career in (i) science (ii) a job unrelated to science. What options will open more doors into employment + offer more university degree courses

Combination of options are:

1. Physics + food technology (cookery) + design technology (making stuff)

OR

2. Geography + food technology (cookery) + design technology (making stuff)

OR

3. Physics + Geography + design technology (making stuff)

All combinations will include chemistry biology and maths.

My son says he wants to be an entrepreneur/businessman ... though he doesn't know in what field.

Thanks. deadline for submission 2 weeks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Please advise why. My son is sitting next to me huffing and puffing. He wants to do option 2

Unless your son wants to pursue a career specifically in the food industry the food technology option is of little value so that eliminates groups 1 and 2 .

Group 3 has mostly science and technology content which would be useful for pursuing any further education and career in these subjects . Geography is a good general knowledge subject with some science content .

I can see OPTION 3 is the best but maybe i should be asking is OPTION 2 really that bad (considering that maths chemistry and biology will be studied)?

OPTION 2: Geography + food technology (cookery) + design technology (making stuff)

You sound like you've already made up your mind, just tell your son to take what he wants to take if you feel that strongly about option 2

Option 3 is the best option, Option 2 is the worst option. If you want to go into science, then physics will be more useful than geography.

1. What are the most common high school subjects for 14-year-olds?

The most common high school subjects for 14-year-olds are typically English, math, science, social studies/history, and a foreign language.

2. Can 14-year-olds choose their own subjects in high school?

In most cases, 14-year-olds do not have the freedom to choose their own subjects in high school. The curriculum is usually predetermined by the school district or state education board.

3. Are there any specialized subject options for 14-year-olds in high school?

Some high schools may offer specialized subject options for 14-year-olds, such as advanced placement (AP) courses, honors courses, or career/technical education classes. These options vary by school and availability.

4. Can 14-year-olds take college-level courses in high school?

Yes, in some cases, 14-year-olds can take college-level courses in high school. This is often referred to as dual enrollment or concurrent enrollment, where students earn both high school and college credit for the same course.

5. How can 14-year-olds make informed decisions about their high school subject options?

To make informed decisions about high school subject options, 14-year-olds can speak with their school counselors, research different courses and their requirements, and consider their future career goals and interests.