Finding Velocity Zero: Solving a High School Calculus Problem

In summary, the conversation revolved around a high school calculus problem involving an object's position and velocity given a specific function. The question was to find when the velocity, represented by v, equals 0. The solution involved finding the derivative of the function and setting it equal to 0, leading to a factorization problem. The conversation ends with the person thanking the others for their help and expressing their excitement to have found a new homework help resource.
undrcvrbro
[SOLVED] high school calc problem

Homework Statement

If an object moves along the y-axis (marked in feet) so that its position at time x (in seconds) is given by the indicated function; y= (x^3)-(9x^2)+15x;
Find when v=0

Homework Equations

v=y prime, and i already have found y prime to be (3x^2)-(18x)+15

The Attempt at a Solution

I checked the selected answers in the back of the book and did a little plug and chug and called it a day...:blushing:.. haha. I'm assuming there's a more relevant process so any help is mucho appreciated. thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
if v=y'

then shouldn't [itex]v=3x^2-18x+15 [/itex]

when v=0

[itex]3x^2-18x+15=0 [/itex]

try some factorisation

wow...thank you

haha I am not sure how i didn't see that. I really didn't think anyone would answer. I believe I've just found a new home for homework help...and considering I will be going into chemE next next year in college, I should be revisiting many of times!

haha thank you a lot!

1. What is a high school calc problem?

A high school calc problem is a mathematical problem that involves using calculus concepts and techniques to solve. These problems are typically encountered in high school math courses, such as AP Calculus or Calculus Honors.

2. What topics are typically covered in high school calc problems?

High school calc problems can cover a range of topics including limits, derivatives, integrals, applications of derivatives and integrals, and differential equations. These topics are all fundamental concepts in calculus.

3. Are high school calc problems difficult?

High school calc problems can be challenging, but with a solid understanding of the underlying concepts and plenty of practice, they can be tackled successfully. It is important to have a strong foundation in algebra and pre-calculus before attempting high school calc problems.

4. How can I prepare for high school calc problems?

To prepare for high school calc problems, it is important to review and understand the basic principles of calculus, such as limits, derivatives, and integrals. Practice problems and seek help from teachers or tutors if needed. It is also helpful to have a strong understanding of algebra and pre-calculus concepts.

5. Are high school calc problems important?

High school calc problems are important as they lay the foundation for more advanced calculus concepts that are used in college and beyond. They also develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are valuable in many fields of study and careers.