High School Internships: Chances, Worth, and College Admissions

In summary, the conversation discusses the chances of getting a high school internship, its worth and potential benefits for college admissions. The person is taking AP Physics B and C as a junior and has a 3.77 GPA. They have spoken to their dad's mentor who is knowledgeable about the Physics Department at the state school and strongly recommends it for its exceptional undergraduate program. The person hopes to use this connection to potentially secure an internship there doing research tasks. The conversation also touches on the potential pay and benefits of the internship.
AnTiFreeze3
Anything that you know of about the chances of getting a high school internship, their worth, whether or not you do anything actually beneficial, whether or not an undergraduate program would like to see that on an application or not, I want to hear. So far, an hour of googling has led me virtually nowhere.

Just some background information: I'm taking both AP Physics B and C as a junior this upcoming year, and am thinking about an internship over next summer. I currently have a 3.77 GPA after my sophomore year. This is just to help give you a better idea as to where I stand, in case you need that information to tell me my odds of getting an internship.

My dad's mentor, of some sorts, (this is the internet, I'm going to be vague) is the Director of the MBA program at the state school of the state in which I currently reside in.
I've already spoken to him about my interest in Physics (yes... I know I haven't taken AP Physics yet, but just believe me that I've read several Intro to Physics books, checked out the PhD comic, read threads on this forum all the time, and have an idea of what I'm getting into, and just know that it still interests me), and he is surprisingly knowledgeable of the Physics Department there, and strongly recommends that I go there because the Physics Department (despite the school not being that difficult to get into) is exceptional for an undergraduate program. He's a Vietnam veteran, and an awesome guy to talk to, and as far as I know, he seems to like me. I feel like I could use this connection to potentially get an internship at the state school, possibly doing simple and straightforward tasks related to research in the Physics department.

Now, let's assume that I get all A's in Physics next year, get 5's on the AP exams... what would the odds of me getting an internship be in the situation that I would be in? Would it help out with college admissions? What would I even do, and would it benefit me in ways other than just potentially looking nice on a college application?

While I have stated that I've spoken to him several times before, he's good friends with my dad, not me. I can't just call him up out of the blue and ask him hypothetical questions regarding a class that I haven't even taken yet. I have spoken to my dad about this, and he thinks that I should at least wait until I take the class before I talk to him about getting an internship there, seeing as how they would have nothing to go off of in regards to my abilities in physics.

That's why I'm hoping to use the knowledge of the forum users here. I'm confident in my capabilities, and know that I'll be putting off the time to study for the class and the exams, so for this particular situation, assume that I will have gotten A's and two 5's in the class and on the AP exams when answering my question about the likelihood of getting an internship.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and thank you in the future even more if you have some answers to my questions. I apologize if this is a little lengthy, but from what I've seen in threads before, there's almost always a post responding to it saying that they need more information in order to confidently assess that person's situation, so I'm hoping to eliminate any need for a post like that.

Physics news on Phys.org
You might want to check this out if it is offered in the future, which it should be unless funding issues occur: http://www.physics.isu.edu/internships/intenship.html

You would work in a research lab there helping out with whatever you are capable of doing. Which as a high school student might not be much, but you would learn a lot about research in physics. I can't imagine anything more beneficial.

It would look fantastic on college applications. The pay is incredible considering they also provide you food and housing for free.

AnTiFreeze3 said:
Anything that you know of about the chances of getting a high school internship, their worth, whether or not you do anything actually beneficial, whether or not an undergraduate program would like to see that on an application or not, I want to hear. So far, an hour of googling has led me virtually nowhere.

Just some background information: I'm taking both AP Physics B and C as a junior this upcoming year, and am thinking about an internship over next summer. I currently have a 3.77 GPA after my sophomore year. This is just to help give you a better idea as to where I stand, in case you need that information to tell me my odds of getting an internship.

My dad's mentor, of some sorts, (this is the internet, I'm going to be vague) is the Director of the MBA program at the state school of the state in which I currently reside in.

I've already spoken to him about my interest in Physics (yes... I know I haven't taken AP Physics yet, but just believe me that I've read several Intro to Physics books, checked out the PhD comic, read threads on this forum all the time, and have an idea of what I'm getting into, and just know that it still interests me), and he is surprisingly knowledgeable of the Physics Department there, and strongly recommends that I go there because the Physics Department (despite the school not being that difficult to get into) is exceptional for an undergraduate program. He's a Vietnam veteran, and an awesome guy to talk to, and as far as I know, he seems to like me. I feel like I could use this connection to potentially get an internship at the state school, possibly doing simple and straightforward tasks related to research in the Physics department.

Now, let's assume that I get all A's in Physics next year, get 5's on the AP exams... what would the odds of me getting an internship be in the situation that I would be in? Would it help out with college admissions? What would I even do, and would it benefit me in ways other than just potentially looking nice on a college application?

While I have stated that I've spoken to him several times before, he's good friends with my dad, not me. I can't just call him up out of the blue and ask him hypothetical questions regarding a class that I haven't even taken yet. I have spoken to my dad about this, and he thinks that I should at least wait until I take the class before I talk to him about getting an internship there, seeing as how they would have nothing to go off of in regards to my abilities in physics.

That's why I'm hoping to use the knowledge of the forum users here. I'm confident in my capabilities, and know that I'll be putting off the time to study for the class and the exams, so for this particular situation, assume that I will have gotten A's and two 5's in the class and on the AP exams when answering my question about the likelihood of getting an internship.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and thank you in the future even more if you have some answers to my questions. I apologize if this is a little lengthy, but from what I've seen in threads before, there's almost always a post responding to it saying that they need more information in order to confidently assess that person's situation, so I'm hoping to eliminate any need for a post like that.

Check out http://see.orau.org/ also

It's not too likely that a college professor would take you on as an intern unless the school specifically has a program for high school students. Their own students have higher priority, the professor can get paid to work with them (but not with you), and those students have a much stronger physics and math background (although interns are rarely useful - it takes far longer to train them to do something than it takes just to do it yourself). So you'd be asking someone to give up a great deal of their time for pretty much no gain from their point of view.

There are a few established research programs for high school students, so you should look into those first. MIT and NASA have summer programs you can start with. They're very competitive.

I understand the importance of internships in gaining practical experience and developing skills in a specific field. However, the chances of getting a high school internship can vary greatly depending on the availability of opportunities in your area and the competition for those positions. It is also important to note that the worth of an internship can vary depending on the quality of the experience and the skills and knowledge gained.

In terms of college admissions, having a high school internship can certainly make your application stand out, especially if it is in a field related to your intended major. It shows your dedication and interest in a particular subject, as well as your ability to take initiative and gain hands-on experience. However, it is not a guarantee for admission and should not be the sole focus of your application.

As for the likelihood of getting an internship at the state school, it is difficult to determine without more information about the specific opportunities available and the competition for those positions. It is always beneficial to have a connection or recommendation from someone within the department, but it is important to also demonstrate your passion and qualifications for the position.

In terms of what you would actually do in an internship, it can vary depending on the specific project or research being conducted. It could involve assisting with experiments, data analysis, or literature reviews. The exact tasks would depend on the needs and expectations of the department and the supervisor.

In conclusion, a high school internship can certainly be a valuable experience and can benefit college admissions, but it should not be the sole focus of your academic and extracurricular pursuits. It is important to also focus on developing a strong academic record, gaining a variety of experiences, and demonstrating your passion and dedication in your chosen field. Good luck in your future endeavors.

What is a high school internship?

A high school internship is a work experience program for students in high school. It allows them to gain practical and hands-on experience in a particular field or industry, usually related to their career interests.

Why should I consider doing a high school internship?

High school internships can offer many benefits, such as gaining valuable skills and experience, exploring potential career interests, building a professional network, and enhancing college applications.

How do I find a high school internship?

There are several ways to find a high school internship. You can start by checking with your school's career center or guidance counselor, networking with friends and family, searching online job boards, or reaching out directly to companies or organizations you are interested in.

Do high school internships have age restrictions?

Yes, most high school internships have age restrictions and are typically available to students who are at least 16 years old. However, there may be some opportunities for students as young as 14 or 15 years old.

Do high school internships have to be in my chosen career field?

No, high school internships do not have to be in your chosen career field. It is a great opportunity to explore different industries and gain a variety of experiences. However, if you have a specific career interest, it is beneficial to find an internship in that field to gain relevant skills and experience.