Efficient High Speed Actuation System for 80x100x4mm Plate - 40ms Response Time

In summary: But the repetitiveness is not possible.Using compressed air jets will definitely be the best option. It can actuate the flapper in a repetitive manner at a very fast speed.
Prasannak
Hi All,

I need a actuation system which will rotate the 80mmx100mmx4mm plate from 0-45 degrees, pivot point @ one end of the plate. I need the time for moving it to 45 degree and back to the original position will be 40 milli-seconds including the response time of the actuator. Here we can use the linear actuator and convert the linear motion into rotary motion.
Please suggest the actator for this application.

Thanks in advance...

Engineering news on Phys.org
Will this movement be a repetitive motion?

Topher925 said:
Will this movement be a repetitive motion?

It depends. Basicaslly i am using this mechanism for rejecting the components flowing in a conveyor.

You could just use a simple encoded motor or stepper motor, similar to what is used for windshield wipers on a car.

40 ms for the entire trip is pretty fast. Have you thought of using compressed air jets to do this? I have seen this method used on quite a few production lines.

FredGarvin said:
40 ms for the entire trip is pretty fast. Have you thought of using compressed air jets to do this? I have seen this method used on quite a few production lines.

Most small assembly type robots for things like circuitry (VERY fast) use pneumatic actuation. However, pneumatics aren't worth it for just a single actuator as they require a lot of equipment to work reliably such as dryers, regulators, and oil separators.

The assumption I work under is that most plants already have a compressed air capacity that is used all over the plant. That may or may not be the case.

FredGarvin said:
The assumption I work under is that most plants already have a compressed air capacity that is used all over the plant. That may or may not be the case.

Thanks for the reply...

In this particular application, components are moving in that flapper. And this flapper is located in betwen the 2 conveyors.I can not able use the air jet for the reason that orientation of component may change or the speed of motion of component will increase.

I have already tried with the pneumatic actuator and with the pneumatic muscle. I have achieved up to 120 milli seconds.

Last edited:

1. What is high speed actuation?

High speed actuation refers to the ability of a system or device to move or operate at a rapid pace. This can include mechanical, electrical, or pneumatic systems that are designed to quickly and accurately move or manipulate an object or component.

2. What are some common applications of high speed actuation?

High speed actuation is commonly used in industrial automation, robotics, and manufacturing processes to increase efficiency and precision. It is also used in medical equipment, such as surgical robots, and in aerospace and defense for tasks like missile guidance and aircraft controls.

3. How does high speed actuation work?

High speed actuation can work in various ways depending on the specific system or device. However, it generally involves the use of a power source, such as an electric motor or pneumatic cylinder, to generate force and movement. The speed and precision of the actuation can be controlled through the use of sensors, feedback systems, and advanced control algorithms.

4. What are the benefits of high speed actuation?

High speed actuation offers several benefits, including increased productivity, accuracy, and repeatability. It can also reduce the need for manual labor and improve safety by automating tasks that may be hazardous for humans. Additionally, high speed actuation can improve the overall performance and efficiency of a system or process.

5. What are some challenges associated with high speed actuation?

One of the main challenges of high speed actuation is maintaining control and stability at such rapid speeds. This requires precise control and coordination between the actuator, sensors, and control system. Another challenge is the potential for wear and tear on the actuator and other components due to the high speeds and forces involved. Additionally, high speed actuation systems can be complex and expensive to design and implement.