High temperature superconducting switches

In summary, the conversation discusses the rarity of HTS switches compared to LTS switches and questions whether the speaker's recently built switch is the first of its kind. They also inquire about the appropriate forum for this topic and the temperature at which the switch operates.
anilrapire
Although low temperature superconducting (LTS) switches are pretty common nowadays (used in MRI magnets etc), HTS switches are far less so, in fact I'm wondering whether the one I built recently is the world's first? Does anyone know otherwise? Does anyone care? (I doubt it).

Also, is this the right sort of forum for this sort of thing? Does anyone know of any others?

Science news on Phys.org
What material are you using??

a well-known type of hts tape. it means the actual switch is pretty large, in fact it looks rather like a bomb, with lots of wires poking out.

Originally posted by anilrapire
Although low temperature superconducting (LTS) switches are pretty common nowadays (used in MRI magnets etc), HTS switches are far less so, in fact I'm wondering whether the one I built recently is the world's first? Does anyone know otherwise? Does anyone care? (I doubt it).

Also, is this the right sort of forum for this sort of thing? Does anyone know of any others?

It might do better over in "Technology". How high is your "high-temperure"?

110K, so I operated it at 77.

1. What is a high temperature superconducting switch?

A high temperature superconducting switch is an electronic device that is made from a material that can conduct electricity with little to no resistance at temperatures much higher than traditional superconducting materials. This allows for more efficient and powerful electrical systems.

2. How do high temperature superconducting switches work?

High temperature superconducting switches work by utilizing a superconducting material, typically a ceramic oxide, at very low temperatures. This material has a critical temperature at which it can conduct electricity without any resistance. When the switch is turned on, the superconducting material is cooled to this critical temperature, allowing for a complete flow of electricity with no loss of energy.

3. What are the advantages of using high temperature superconducting switches?

The main advantage of using high temperature superconducting switches is their ability to conduct electricity with almost no resistance, resulting in much lower energy losses and therefore higher efficiency. They also have the potential to handle much higher currents and voltages than traditional switches, making them ideal for use in power grids and other high-power applications.

4. What are the limitations of high temperature superconducting switches?

One limitation of high temperature superconducting switches is their high cost, as the materials used in their production are still relatively expensive. Another limitation is their sensitivity to magnetic fields, which can disrupt the superconducting state and cause the switch to fail. Additionally, the cooling systems required to maintain the low temperatures needed for superconductivity can be complex and costly.

5. What are the potential applications of high temperature superconducting switches?

High temperature superconducting switches have the potential to revolutionize power transmission and distribution, as well as being used in high-power electronics and energy storage systems. They could also be used in medical equipment, such as MRI machines, and in quantum computing. Other potential applications include transportation systems, such as high-speed trains, and renewable energy technologies.