Hints on how to approach this vector displacement problem?

In summary: Well, this isn't correct, but it is a good start. Given the speeds and velocities, how far does the motorist travel during each leg of the journey (in meters)?
JessicaJ283782
A motorist drives south at 32.0 m/s for 4.00 min, then turns west and travels at 55.0 m/s for 5.10 min, and finally travels northwest at 12.0 m/s for 2.00 min. Find the following values.

1.total vector displacement (m) at a _ degree south of west
2.average speed (m/s)
3. average velocity m/s (magnitude) at a _ degree south of west.

I'm not too sure how to approach this problem at all? Any hints would be appreciated, thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
JessicaJ283782 said:
A motorist drives south at 26.0 m/s for 3.00 min, then turns west and travels at 25.0 m/s for 2.20 min, and finally travels northwest at 30.0 m/s for 1.00 min. For this 6.20 min trip, find the following values.

1.total vector displacement (m) at a _ degree south of west
2.average speed (m/s)
3. average velocity m/s (magnitude) at a _ degree south of west.

I'm not too sure how to approach this problem at all? Any hints would be appreciated, thank you!
Force yourself to think of what you would do first. You don't have to solve the whole problem. Just tell us what you would do first, and what your results are.

Chet

I think you would have to draw the vectors first. So, the first one would be straight down and would have (0,26) as the coordinates. The second would be (25,0) pointing to the left. Then the third one would connect the two others. So displacement is all of them added up correct?

JessicaJ283782 said:
I think you would have to draw the vectors first. So, the first one would be straight down and would have (0,26) as the coordinates. The second would be (25,0) pointing to the left. Then the third one would connect the two others. So displacement is all of them added up correct?

Well, this isn't correct, but it is a good start. Given the speeds and velocities, how far does the motorist travel during each leg of the journey (in meters)?

1. To find the total vector displacement, you will need to break down the motion into its components (north-south and east-west). Use the formula d=vt, where d is the displacement, v is the velocity, and t is the time. For the first part of the motion, the displacement will be in the south direction, and for the second part, it will be in the west direction. For the final part, you will need to use the Pythagorean theorem to find the displacement in the northwest direction. Once you have all three components, you can use vector addition to find the total displacement and its direction.

2. To find the average speed, you will need to use the formula v= d/t, where v is the speed, d is the distance, and t is the time. You can find the total distance traveled by adding up the distances in each direction. Then, divide the total distance by the total time taken to find the average speed.

3. To find the average velocity, you will need to use the formula v= d/t, where v is the velocity, d is the displacement, and t is the time. You can find the total displacement using the method described in #1. Then, divide the total displacement by the total time taken to find the average velocity. Remember to include the direction in your answer, which will be in the southwest direction.

I hope this helps you approach the problem. Remember to use the correct formulas and units when solving the problem. Good luck!

1. How do I know which vector displacement method to use?

The best method for approaching a vector displacement problem will depend on the specific problem and the data available. Some common methods include graphing, vector addition/subtraction, and using trigonometric functions. It's important to carefully consider the problem and the available information before choosing a method.

2. What should I do if I get stuck while solving the problem?

If you get stuck while solving a vector displacement problem, it's important to take a step back and reassess the information and methods you are using. It may be helpful to try approaching the problem from a different angle or seeking assistance from a colleague or mentor.

3. How can I check my answer to make sure it's correct?

One way to check your answer for a vector displacement problem is to use the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude of the resultant vector. You can also use the slope and direction of the resultant vector to compare it to your calculated answer.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid in vector displacement problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid in vector displacement problems include using incorrect units, not properly labeling or drawing vectors, and forgetting to account for direction in your calculations. It's also important to double check your work and use clear and organized steps to avoid errors.

5. How can I apply vector displacement to real-world situations?

Vector displacement has many practical applications, such as in physics, engineering, and navigation. It can be used to calculate forces, velocities, and distances in various systems. By understanding vector displacement, you can better understand and analyze real-world situations and make accurate predictions and calculations.