Holding a Cone Up: Minimum Force & θ Explained

• Thread starter physicsguy10
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cone
In summary, the conversation discusses the minimum normal force required to hold a cone upside down with two fingers, as well as the minimum value of the angle θ that allows for this. The conversation also mentions the equations for friction force and gravity, and the attempt at a solution includes a drawing and an equation for finding the minimum normal force.
physicsguy10

Homework Statement

With two fingers, you hold an cone motionless, upside down. The mass of the cone is m, and the static coefficient u. The angle of the tip, when viewed from the side, is 2θ. What is the minimum normal force required to hold the cone up (with each finger)? And, in terms of u, what is the minimum value of θ that allows you to hold up the cone?

Homework Equations

Friction force = uN
Gravity = mg
etc...

The Attempt at a Solution

I included a terrible paint drawing of my progress so far:

cone.jpg

The small "f" denotes the friction force, and i have split my mg force into mgsinθ and mgcosθ. Considering just one side, for the cone to remain motionless, I would assume that the friction force f must = (mgcosθ)/2. and f itself = uN. Also, N = F+mgsinθ/2, where F is the applied force from the one finger.

So now i have u(F+mgsinθ/2) = (mgcosθ)/2. Does this make sense? And if so, how do I find the minimum normal force that I need to apply with each finger?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I expanded, with uN > f, that the finger force F must be at a minimum:

F > (mg/2)(cosθ/u - sinθ)

I would absolutely be indebted to anyone who would take the time to verify this.

Last edited:
Shameless bump :(

Related to Holding a Cone Up: Minimum Force & θ Explained

1. What is the minimum force required to hold a cone up?

The minimum force required to hold a cone up depends on the weight of the cone and the angle at which it is held. The force required can be calculated using the formula F = mg/cosθ, where F is the minimum force, m is the mass of the cone, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle at which the cone is held.

2. How does the angle at which the cone is held affect the minimum force required?

The angle at which the cone is held affects the minimum force required because as the angle increases, the force required decreases. This is because the cosine of the angle is in the denominator of the force formula, meaning that as the angle increases, the force decreases.

3. Can the minimum force required to hold a cone up ever be zero?

No, the minimum force required to hold a cone up can never be zero. This is because there is always some amount of force required to counteract the weight of the cone, even if it is held at a very low angle.

4. What is the significance of the angle θ in the force formula?

The angle θ in the force formula represents the angle at which the cone is held. As discussed, the force required to hold the cone up is inversely proportional to this angle, meaning that a smaller angle will result in a larger force required.

5. How can this concept be applied in real life scenarios?

The concept of minimum force required to hold an object up can be applied in various scenarios, such as designing structures that can withstand a certain weight or creating ergonomic tools that require less force to hold. In daily life, this concept can also help in tasks such as carrying heavy objects or lifting weights at the gym, as it highlights the importance of the angle at which an object is held.