Hollow Rolling Sphere up incline

In summary, the problem involves a rolling hollow sphere on an incline, with no friction. The moment of inertia of a hollow sphere is given by I = 2/3 mr2. The kinetic energy of the system is the sum of its translational and rotational motion, which is equal to the energy lost from going up the incline (mgh). The assumption is that the sphere is rolling without slipping. To solve the problem, one can use calculus to take the derivative or row-reduce if studying linear algebra. It is important to not calculate for raw numbers until the end of the problem. The incline can be accounted for by using trigonometry to represent forces as vectors on a triangle. It is recommended to review energy
jjd101

Homework Statement

An 800 g, 40.0 cm diameter hollow sphere is rolling along at 4 m/s when it comes to a 25 degree incline. Ignoring any friction, how far along the incline does it roll before it stops and reverses its direction?

Homework Equations

rolling momentum
motion equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i have no idea where to start

Physics news on Phys.org

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_moments_of_inertia

Moment of inertia of a hollow sphere is I = 2/3 mr2 (according to Wikipedia).

The kinetic energy of a system is the sum of its translational and rotational motion.

E = 1/2 mv2 + 1/2 Iω2

Of course, this has to be equal to the energy lost from going up that incline, which is mgh.

Also note that there is the assumption that the sphere is rolling without slipping.

If you're studying calculus and you run into problems, take the derivative. If you're studying linear algebra and you run into problems, row-reduce. When you're studying kinetics and you run into problems, examine the energy of the system.

Last edited:

I did this and got E=10.66, now do i set that equal to mgh to find height?

It's rolling UP an incline. Go figure.

And fyi, you should never calculate for raw numbers until the very end of a problem. It's bad practice.

okay, but how do i account for the incline?

[PLAIN]http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/2649/220pxtrigonometrytriang.png

Last edited by a moderator:
i know what a triangle looks like but i don't know how to deal with energy and an incline

mg is a force. h is a height. Forces are vectors. You can put them on triangles.

I recommend reviewing energy in a system that only involves translational motion. This is a pretty basic concept and if you don't understand it, you shouldn't be studying rotational motion.

What is a "Hollow Rolling Sphere up incline"?

A hollow rolling sphere up incline refers to the motion of a hollow sphere rolling up an inclined surface due to the force of gravity.

What factors affect the motion of a "Hollow Rolling Sphere up incline"?

The motion of a hollow rolling sphere up incline is affected by the angle of incline, the mass and radius of the sphere, and the force of gravity.

How does the angle of incline affect the motion of a "Hollow Rolling Sphere up incline"?

The steeper the incline, the faster the hollow sphere will roll up due to the increased force of gravity acting on it.

What is the difference between a solid rolling sphere and a hollow rolling sphere up incline?

A solid rolling sphere will experience pure rolling motion, where the center of mass and the point of contact with the surface move at the same speed. However, a hollow rolling sphere up incline will experience a combination of pure rolling and sliding motion, depending on the angle of incline.

How can the motion of a "Hollow Rolling Sphere up incline" be calculated?

The motion of a hollow rolling sphere up incline can be calculated using principles of classical mechanics, such as Newton's laws of motion and conservation of energy. These calculations take into account the various factors that affect the motion, such as the angle of incline and the properties of the sphere.