Understanding Holomorphic Functions: Questions and Solutions

• Thread starter Niles
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary, the conversation discusses two questions on holomorphic functions in the complex plane. The first question addresses whether all functions f(z) are holomorphic, with the conclusion that this statement is incorrect. The second question asks if there is a method to find f(z) as a function of z alone, to which the answer is provided as substituting x=(z+z*)/2 and y=(z-z*)/(2i).
Niles

Homework Statement

Hi all.

I have two questions on holomorphic functions in the complex plane.

1) We have shown in class that a holomorphic function f can only depend on z, not z*, where the asterix denotes complex conjugation.

Today my teacher said that all functions f(z) are holomorphic. He is not correct, is he?

2) I have a holomorphic function [itex]f(z)=u(x,y)+iv(x,y)[/itex], where we have

[tex]
u(x,y)=x^2-y^2+2x \quad \text{and}\quad v(x,y)=2xy+2y.
[/tex]

Is there any way that I can find f(z) as a function of z alone? Or is the only method to guess?

Thank you very much in advance.Niles.

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't have to guess. Substitute x=(z+z*)/2 and y=(z-z*)/(2i) and see what you get.

1. What is a holomorphic function?

A holomorphic function is a complex-valued function that is differentiable at every point in its domain. It is also known as an analytic function.

2. What is the difference between a holomorphic function and a regular function?

The main difference is that a holomorphic function is defined on a complex plane, while a regular function is defined on a real plane. Additionally, a holomorphic function must satisfy the Cauchy-Riemann equations, which state that the partial derivatives of the function with respect to its real and imaginary components must exist and be continuous.

3. What is the significance of holomorphic functions?

Holomorphic functions have many important applications in mathematics and physics. They are used to solve problems in complex analysis, number theory, and differential equations. In physics, they are used to describe the behavior of electromagnetic fields and quantum mechanics.

4. Can a holomorphic function have singularities?

Yes, a holomorphic function can have singularities, which are points where the function is not defined or is not differentiable. However, these singularities must be isolated, meaning that there is a small neighborhood around the singularity where the function is still holomorphic.

5. How are holomorphic functions represented?

Holomorphic functions can be represented in several ways, including power series, Taylor series, and Laurent series. These representations allow us to approximate and manipulate the function to solve complex problems.