Homework help: Harmonic Motion of a Spring and Block System

Solving for t gives t = \pi/(\omega) = 0.2406 s.In summary, the maximum speed of the 0.1 kg block attached to a spring with force constant 17.2 N/m and oscillating with an amplitude of 16 cm is 2.09838 m/s. To find the speed when the block is 8 cm from the equilibrium position, the equation for velocity as a function of time is used with a displacement of half the amplitude, giving a time of 0.2406 seconds. The acceleration in the same situation can be found using the equation a(t) = -Aω^2Cos(ωt). The time it takes the block to move from amplitude
KrhUhart

Homework Statement

Part 1:

A 0.1 kg block attached to a spring of force constant 17.2 N/m oscillates with an amplitude of 16 cm. Find the the maximum speed of the block.

I solved this part using the equations for angular frequency and max velocity.

Part 2:

Find speed of the block when it is 8 cm from the equilibrium position. Answer in m/s.

Part 3:

Find acceleration in the same situation ^

Part 4:

Find the time it takes the block to move from amplitude 0cm, to amplitude 8 cm.

Homework Equations

ω = [itex]\sqrt{}k/m[/itex]

Vm = Aω

V(t) = -AωSin(ωt)

a(t) = - Aω^2Cos(ωt)

The Attempt at a Solution

Part 1 i figured out:

ω = [itex]\sqrt{}17.2/0.1[/itex] = 13.1149 rads

Vm = (.16)(13.1149) = 2.09838 m/s

For part 2 i tried using the equation for velocity as a function of time. But I'm not sure how to solve the equation without the value for time. So far i have:

V(t) = -(0.08)(13.1149)Sin(13.1149(t))

Thank you everybody

Physics news on Phys.org
For part two, the displacement is half the amplitude so you are looking for a time [itex]t[/itex] such that [itex]\cos(\omega t) = 1/2[/itex].

Related to Homework help: Harmonic Motion of a Spring and Block System

1. What is harmonic motion?

Harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which an object moves back and forth in a regular, repeating pattern. This type of motion is characterized by a restoring force that is proportional to the displacement of the object from its equilibrium position.

2. How does a spring and block system exhibit harmonic motion?

A spring and block system exhibits harmonic motion when the spring is stretched or compressed and then released. The block will then oscillate back and forth, with its motion being governed by Hooke's Law, which states that the force applied by a spring is directly proportional to the displacement of the object from its equilibrium position.

3. What is the equation for the period of a spring and block system?

The equation for the period of a spring and block system is T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass of the block, and k is the spring constant.

4. How does the mass of the block affect the period of the spring and block system?

The mass of the block affects the period of the spring and block system by increasing the inertia of the system. This means that a larger mass will require more force to move it, resulting in a longer period of oscillation.

5. How can I calculate the amplitude of a spring and block system?

The amplitude of a spring and block system can be calculated by measuring the maximum displacement of the block from its equilibrium position during one complete cycle of motion. It can also be calculated using the equation A = √(2E/k), where A is the amplitude, E is the total energy of the system, and k is the spring constant.