1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework question concerning simple harmonic motion

1. May 3, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data A system has a period of 3 seconds. The 4 kg mass oscillates with an amplitude of 0.7 meters. At what position is 50% of its energy in the form of kinetic energy and what is its velocity then?

2. Relevant equations
    work = Potential energy + Kinetic energy
    (1/2)kA^2 = (1/2)kx^2 + (1/2)mv^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I found k = 17.55 Newton meters.
    So, I was thinking of two possible approaches:
    a.) (1/2)kA^2 - (1/2)kx^2 = (1/2)mv^2
    b.) kx^2 = mv^2

I'm pretty sure I'd use my second idea. If that's right, what would I plug in for x? The amplitude?

2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2008 #2
    Yes, you are correct to use kx^2 = mv^2. Your term 0.5kA^2 is the same thing as 0.5kx^2, the only difference is that "amplitude" can mean more than 1 direction.

So for example if your mass could go in either the X or Y direction, 0.5kA^2 = 0.5kx^2 + 0.5ky^2

So just use option B.

4. May 3, 2008 #3

alphysicist

Homework Helper

Hi robf224,

I don't think you should use either of your two equations separately. The first equation contains the total energy, and the second has the 50% condition. But you now have two equations with two unknowns and can solve the two equations simultaneously to find both x and v.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?