Homework Question on resistors in series, in parallel

In summary, the conversation is about a physics homework problem involving parallel resistors. The student is attempting to use Kirchoff's Law and the equation V=IR to solve the problem, but is stuck and seeking help.
rabcdred

Homework Statement

See attached image.

Homework Equations

V=IR, Kirchoff's Law

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that since the resistors are in parallel, the voltage drop across each one would be equivalent, so V=I1(14)=I2(38)=I3(7)=I4(Rx). From here I became stuck. Please help!

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-02-12 at 10.35.47 PM.png
    Screen shot 2012-02-12 at 10.35.47 PM.png
    17.9 KB · Views: 420
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
rabcdred said:

Homework Statement

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=43838&stc=1&d=1329108468

Homework Equations

V=IR, Kirchoff's Law

I thought that since the resistors are in parallel, the voltage drop across each one would be equivalent, so V=I1(14)=I2(38)=I3(7)=I4(Rx). From here I became stuck. Please help!

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Hello rabcdred. Welcome to PF !

No image !

Invalid attachment.

1. What is the difference between resistors in series and in parallel?

Resistors in series are connected end-to-end and have the same current passing through them, while resistors in parallel are connected side-by-side and have the same voltage across them.

2. How do I calculate the total resistance of resistors in series?

To calculate the total resistance of resistors in series, you simply add up the values of each resistor. The formula is Rtotal = R1 + R2 + R3 + ... + Rn.

3. How do I calculate the total resistance of resistors in parallel?

To calculate the total resistance of resistors in parallel, you use the formula 1/Rtotal = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ... + 1/Rn. Then, take the reciprocal of the result to find the total resistance.

4. How does the current flow through resistors in series and in parallel?

In a series circuit, the current flows through each resistor in the same direction. In a parallel circuit, the current splits up and flows through each resistor separately.

5. How do I determine the voltage drop across each resistor in a series or parallel circuit?

In a series circuit, the voltage drop across each resistor is proportional to its resistance. In a parallel circuit, the voltage drop across each resistor is the same as the voltage of the power source.