Honeywell/Windtronics BTPS = linear generator?

In summary, the conversation discusses a potential use of linear generators in a non-wind power application and the advantages of this design compared to traditional implementations. The speaker is seeking information on how to implement and configure these generators, including coil types, winding techniques, and power output connections. They request recommendations for further research or discussion on the topic.
tadietz
I ran into the following page http://www.yourrenewable-energies.com/honeywell-wind-turbine-6500/technical-specifications a while back, and was wondering if this is just a special case of a linear generator, i.e., where magnets move past fixed coils to generate electricity rather than the more standard coil moving inside a magnetic field?

I want to do something similar, though not using wind power. My intent was to use magnets in the outer perimeter of a flywheel passing by stationary coils, which is opposite of the standard implementation, but as in the wind generator above, it has some advantages in the design I am working on.

I can't find much information on linear generators and how you would implement A/C or D/C versions of them, what kinds/configurations of coils to use, how to wind and wire them, etc. In the picture at the URL above, it looks like there are coils on either side of the fan blade tip magnets, but not how the coils are wound, or how they are connected to the consolidated power output (i.e., in series or in parallel), etc. Can anyone out there point me to some good sources for this or discuss various designs and factors to consider? Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org

What is the Honeywell/Windtronics BTPS linear generator?

The Honeywell/Windtronics BTPS linear generator is a renewable energy technology designed to convert wind energy into electricity. It consists of a vertical-axis wind turbine and a linear generator that converts the rotational motion of the blades into linear motion, which in turn generates electricity.

How does the BTPS linear generator work?

The BTPS linear generator works by utilizing the principle of electromagnetic induction. The vertical-axis wind turbine blades rotate and turn a magnet inside the linear generator, creating a magnetic field. This magnetic field then induces a current in the copper coils surrounding the magnet, generating electricity.

What are the advantages of using the BTPS linear generator?

The BTPS linear generator offers several advantages, including its compact size, quiet operation, and ability to generate electricity at lower wind speeds compared to traditional wind turbines. It also has no gearbox, which reduces maintenance and increases its lifespan.

What are the limitations of the BTPS linear generator?

The BTPS linear generator is not suitable for large-scale electricity production as it has a lower power output compared to traditional wind turbines. It also requires consistent wind speeds to operate efficiently, making it less suitable for areas with fluctuating wind patterns.

Is the BTPS linear generator environmentally friendly?

Yes, the BTPS linear generator is considered to be environmentally friendly as it utilizes a renewable energy source (wind) to generate electricity. It does not emit any pollutants or greenhouse gases and has a minimal impact on the environment.