Horizontal circular motion problem, what am doing wrong?

In summary: It never hurts to go back and check one's work.In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the County Fair Swing and determining the radius of the circular path in meters. It is assumed that each chair with riders is supported by a single cable, with the tension in the cable being equal to twice the total weight of the riders and chair. The speed of the center of mass at the end of the cable is given as 10 m/s. Through a series of equations and diagrams, it is determined that the radius of the circular path is 5.89 meters. The importance of using free body diagrams is emphasized as a key learning.
SherlockLCooper

Homework Statement

The County Fair Swing carries the mass of riders and chairs in a circular path in a horizontal plane while suspended by cables or chains. Let's assume that:

Each chair with riders is supported by a single cable

The tension in the cable equals 2 x the total weight riders and chair

The speed of the center of mass at the end of the cable is 10 m/s.

Determine the radius of the circular path in meters.Selected Answer:

Homework Equations

T=mv^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

T=mv^2/r
so r=10^2/2
100/2=50
50=r

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Sherlock:

I am not sure I understand the problem statement correctly, but it seems to me you are assuming that the chains are horizontal. I visualize a different picture with the chains at an angle. If that is correct, then the tension has a horizontal and a vertical component.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Buzz

If the cables are purely horizontal, what force supports the chairs and riders against gravity?

[i.e. -- what Buzz said]

this is all the information I was given, I imagine the angle too, but I have no value for theta. is that something I can solve for with the information given?

Hi Sherlock:

The vertical component of the tension balances what force? Visualize a right triangle with the chain as the hypotenuse.
SherlockLCooper said:

Regards,
Buzz

SherlockLCooper said:
What do you do with that information ?
SherlockLCooper said:
T=mv^2/r so r=10^2/2
Do I read T/m = 2 here ? I always thought weight = mg so I am missing a factor g -- not to mention the dimension of g !

Oh, and -- in your relevant equation -- what do you mean with ##\vec T## ?

Sherlock,

Have you drawn a free body diagram for the combination of rider and chair, or do you feel like you have advanced beyond the point where you need to use free body diagrams?

Likes Nidum
Well now, all this response and not even one :welcome: -- let me make up for that: :welcome: ! :smile:

t=tension. and I have drawn diagrams, and i just, tried v^2/2g, and it was also incorrect, am i using the right Equations?

BvU said:
Well now, all this response and not even one :welcome: -- let me make up for that: :welcome: ! :smile:
thanks!

Chestermiller said:
Have you drawn a free body diagram for the combination of rider and chair

It is always much easier to sort these types of problem out if there is something to look at .
pf01-jpg.95812.jpg

Mark in the forces which you think are acting and any other information you consider relevant .

SherlockLCooper said:
t=tension. and I have drawn diagrams, and i just, tried v^2/2g, and it was also incorrect, am i using the right Equations?
Let's see what your free body diagram looks like

does this help

Attachments

• phys p 4.png
    phys p 4.png
    46.6 KB · Views: 465
Hi Sherlock:

Your diagram is a good start, but you need to add the horizontal and vertical components of the tension.

Regards,
Buzz

SherlockLCooper said:
does this help
Yes. OK If T is the tension, what are its components in the x and y directions, in terms of the angle the rope makes with the horizontal?

Likes SherlockLCooper
I want to say
(T Cos(theta)i, T sin(theta)j) where the y component would be T Sin(theta)=mg..?
so t/mg= 2, so sine (0) =0, so it is in the horizontal plane, the alternative T Cos(0)= T*1= T.

so all the velocity would be in the horizontal plane?

Hi Sherlock:

If you visualize the right triangle, you are given the facts regarding the vertical component, and the tension is along the hypotenuse. You don't need the angle to calculate the horizontal component. You can use the Pythagorean theorem.

Regards,
Buzz

SherlockLCooper said:
I want to say
(T Cos(theta)i, T sin(theta)j) where the y component would be T Sin(theta)=mg..?
so t/mg= 2, so sine (0) =0, so it is in the horizontal plane, the alternative T Cos(0)= T*1= T.
If T = 2mg, then ##2mg \sin\theta=mg##, then what is ##\sin \theta## and what is ##\theta##?

Pity T is missing in the side view in post #13...

30 degrees!

SherlockLCooper said:
30 degrees!
Good. Now let's see your force balance in the horizontal direction. There is only one force acting in the horizontal direction.

Likes SherlockLCooper
(2mg cos 30)/m=a=v^2/r
m cancels so v^2/2gcos30=r

Likes Chestermiller
(100)/(2)(9.8)((3^(1/2))/2)=5.89 meters

ill try this and let you know! Thank you so much!

it worked!

SherlockLCooper said:
it worked!
The key learning from all of this is reconfirmation of the importance of always using free body diagrams.

Likes SherlockLCooper

Related to Horizontal circular motion problem, what am doing wrong?

1. What is horizontal circular motion?

Horizontal circular motion is a type of motion in which an object moves in a circular path at a constant speed, while its direction continuously changes. This type of motion is commonly seen in objects moving along a curved track, such as a rollercoaster or a car turning a corner.

2. How do I solve a horizontal circular motion problem?

To solve a horizontal circular motion problem, you need to first understand the forces acting on the object and their direction. Then, you can apply Newton's laws of motion and use equations such as centripetal force and centripetal acceleration to calculate the unknown variables.

3. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that acts towards the center of a circular path and keeps an object moving in a circular motion. It is necessary for an object to continue moving in a circular path and is calculated using the formula F = mv^2/r, where m is the mass of the object, v is its velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.

4. Why is my answer to a horizontal circular motion problem not accurate?

There could be several reasons why your answer is not accurate, such as incorrect calculations, not considering all the forces acting on the object, or using the wrong formula. It is important to double-check your work and make sure all the given information is considered in your calculations.

5. What are some real-life examples of horizontal circular motion?

Some real-life examples of horizontal circular motion include a car turning a corner, a planet orbiting the sun, a rollercoaster moving along a track, and a tetherball swinging around a pole. These objects are all moving in a circular path while maintaining a constant speed.