Hot swap PSU control circuits

In summary, the conversation was about the design of hot swap power supply units (PSUs) commonly used in data center servers. The focus was on the connections made between the individual swappable PSU modules and the common power circuitry. The person was concerned about the risk of mains AC voltage crossing these connections and potentially exposing the PSU to phase-to-phase higher voltages. They were also exploring the possibility of using phase diversity UPSes for redundancy. The article provided discusses the design considerations for hot swap PSUs and emphasizes the importance of preventing AC mains voltage from contacting signal level rails in any design.
Skaperen
I'm looking for information on how hot swap PSUs as used in computers (used typically for data center servers) are designed. In particular, I want to focus on the common aspects between the 2 or more PSU subunits that can be swapped. What kinds of connections are made between the individual swappable PSU module, and the common power circuitry? Is there any chance the any mains AC voltage would go across this connection, or by any other means, even if it is intended as a low current or current limited connection? What I am wondering about is whether this could be exposed to a phase-to-phase higher voltage (e.g. 416 volts) if/when the individual PSU modules are powered by separate phases (in a 240 volt phase to neutral system).

Hopefully, no hot swap PSU systems even exist where they allow AC mains voltages from separate PSU modules to be applied together anywhere, or if they do, are specifically designed to handle the worst case (e.g. at least 480 volts differential for PSUs that can operate at 100-240 volts). Common non-swappable PSUs for PCs only have DC and control lines that I have ever seen. But I can't get enough info on the hot swap type to rule out any phase-to-phase risks.

I am wanting to wire up servers which have 1+1 PSU redundancy (e.g. can run on 1 PSU being powered) to separate UPSes (small scale units, 1 or 2 per rack, not a giant room scale UPS). These UPSes would be wired to different phases in sequence. If I lose power to one phase only, and time passes by that exhausts the UPS battery, the phase diversity should still keep everything running (as long as the two remaining phases have that much capacity). Phase diversity UPSes would be nice, too, but I just don't see that on the market in rack size scales (3 to 6 kVA).

But in any case, what I am exploring at the moment is any possible cross phase risks, where phase to phase exceeds 240 volts, in the 1+1 redundant hot swap PSU system designs.

Engineering news on Phys.org

1. What is a hot swap PSU control circuit?

A hot swap PSU control circuit is a type of electronic circuit that allows for the safe and seamless replacement of a power supply unit (PSU) while the system is still running. It is commonly used in high-end computer systems and servers to prevent downtime and ensure continuous operation.

2. How does a hot swap PSU control circuit work?

A hot swap PSU control circuit typically consists of a controller that monitors the power supply and various safety mechanisms to prevent damage to the system. When a PSU is removed, the circuit immediately detects the loss of power and activates a backup power source to prevent any interruption in power supply. Once the new PSU is inserted and properly connected, the circuit transfers the load to the new PSU and disables the backup power source.

3. What are the benefits of using a hot swap PSU control circuit?

The main benefit of a hot swap PSU control circuit is the ability to replace a faulty PSU without shutting down the system. This helps to minimize downtime and prevent loss of data or damage to the system. It also allows for easier maintenance and upgrades of the PSU without disrupting the operation of the system.

4. Are there any risks associated with using a hot swap PSU control circuit?

While a hot swap PSU control circuit is designed to minimize risks, there are still some potential dangers to be aware of. If the backup power source fails, it could result in a loss of power and potential damage to the system. Also, if the new PSU is not properly installed, it could cause damage to the system or the new PSU itself.

5. Can a hot swap PSU control circuit be used with any type of power supply?

Most hot swap PSU control circuits are designed to work with specific types of power supplies, such as ATX or redundant power supplies. It is important to check the specifications of the circuit and make sure it is compatible with the PSU being used. It is also recommended to consult with a professional when selecting and installing a hot swap PSU control circuit to ensure safety and compatibility.