Hot Water Cylinder: Min. Heat Loss Calc.

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the radius and overall height of a hot-water tank with a 125 liter capacity in order to minimize heat loss. The tank is approximated to have a cylindrical shape with a hemispherical end cap. By using equations for volume and surface area, the radius is found to be 39.1 cm and the height is determined to be 25 cm. There was a slight error in the initial calculation of surface area, but it was corrected to include the flat cap on one end of the tank.
Sagesky

Homework Statement

To reduce heat loss, the surface area of a hot-water tank must be kept to a minimum. If such a tank is 125 litters in capacity, and can be approximated by a cylinder in shape with a hemispherical end cap; calculate the radius and overall height for minimum heat loss.hi can anyone check my ansers please thanks

The Attempt at a Solution

125 litres = 125000 cm^3

The volume is the sum of the volume of a hemisphere and a cylinder.
V= 2/3 πr^3+πr^2 h
The surface area is
S=2πrh+2πr^2
Isolate h in the Volume equation.
V= πr^3+πr^2 h

h=(V- 2/3 πr^2 )/(πr^2 )

Substitute for h into the Surface area equation.
S=2πr^2 (V- 2/3 πr^2 )/(πr^2 )+2πr^2
S=(2V )/r+2/3 πr^2
calculate the derivative.
ds/dr= - (2V )/r^2 +4/3 πr
Solve for r
- 2V + 4/3 πr^3=0

r^3= (3v )/2π

r^3= (3 ×125000 )/2π

r^3= 59683
r= ∛59683
r = 39.1 cm
to calculate the height
h=(125000- 2/3 π〖39.1〗^2 )/(π〖39.1〗^2 )

Height = 25 cmsorry can figuare how to make the equations non linnear

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer looks right to me; I didn't check the last couple calculations, but i get r = 39.1 cm, too.

thanks did i include the base ok?

Oh wait, I might have duplicated your mistake. :) The cylinder just has a hemispherical cap in place of one of the ends, but the other end is just a flat "circle" cap, right?

Then:

[tex] SA = SA_{walls} + SA_{flatcap} + SA_{hemcap} = 2 \pi r h + \pi r^2 + 2 \pi r^2 = 2 \pi r h + 3 \pi r^2 [/tex]

And then solve in the same way you did.

thank s

do i use the 2pirh + 3pir^2 for making h the subject

am hopeless at this question

hi i was check over my height equation is it

2pir^2 (v- 0.66 pi r^3/pi r^2) = height?

1. What is a "Hot Water Cylinder"?

A hot water cylinder, also known as a hot water tank, is a storage tank that holds hot water for domestic use. It is typically used in homes with a traditional heating system, such as a boiler or immersion heater.

2. What is "Min. Heat Loss Calc."?

"Min. Heat Loss Calc." refers to the minimum heat loss calculation for a hot water cylinder. This calculation takes into account the materials and insulation used for the cylinder and determines the minimum amount of heat that will be lost from the cylinder over a given time period.

3. Why is a "Min. Heat Loss Calc." important for a hot water cylinder?

A "Min. Heat Loss Calc." is important because it helps determine the energy efficiency of a hot water cylinder. A lower heat loss means less energy is required to maintain the desired water temperature, resulting in lower energy bills and reduced environmental impact.

4. How is the "Min. Heat Loss Calc." measured?

The "Min. Heat Loss Calc." is typically measured in Watts (W) or British Thermal Units (BTUs) per hour. This measurement indicates the amount of heat that will be lost from the hot water cylinder over the course of an hour.

5. Can the "Min. Heat Loss Calc." be improved?

Yes, the "Min. Heat Loss Calc." can be improved by using better insulation materials, such as foam or fiberglass, and by ensuring proper installation and maintenance of the hot water cylinder. Regularly checking and replacing damaged or worn insulation can also help improve the heat loss calculation.