House circuit wiring for 48Vdc and 240Vac

In summary: VACAC current needs to flow through a conductor to create heat So if you have something that uses AC current to produce heat, then it needs to have an AC outlet to workIn summary, Dave is saying that if you have appliances that need a higher voltage than 240 volts, you need to supply them with their own power source. He also says that unless you have an absolutely huge solar and wind farm array, the amount of power you will generate will be relatively low.
caters
For building the electrical lines of this house on New Earth that I am building I have a voltage of 48 volts from batteries that get electricity from my waterwheels, wind turbines, and solar panels. This goes through an inverter to give me 240 volts of AC electricity. There is a small circuit that goes to the batteries and back to the inverter. There is a second inverter in this circuit that turns AC electricity at 240 volts back to 48 volts of DC electricity. Certain appliances use different amounts of watts and thus amps and volts. Now if the voltage needed for an appliance is somehow greater than 240 volts than how am I going to accomplish raising the voltage for just that 1 appliance and not others that use less than 240 volts?

Also to accomplish this varying voltage I was thinking of using resistors but this resistance will add up so that the 240 volts goes through at extremely low amps. So how else could I accomplish lowering the voltage for any particular appliance besides using resistors?

Engineering news on Phys.org
caters said:
For building the electrical lines of this house on New Earth that I am building I have a voltage of 48 volts from batteries that get electricity from my waterwheels, wind turbines, and solar panels.

New Earth ? OK on the 48VDC sources

caters said:
This goes through an inverter to give me 240 volts of AC electricity.

OK no problem

caters said:
There is a small circuit that goes to the batteries and back to the inverter.

what for ? why?

caters said:
There is a second inverter in this circuit that turns AC electricity at 240 volts back to 48 volts of DC electricity.

Again ... what for ? why ?

caters said:
Certain appliances use different amounts of watts and thus amps and volts. Now if the voltage needed for an appliance is somehow greater than 240 volts than how am I going to accomplish raising the voltage for just that 1 appliance and not others that use less than 240 volts?

Huh ? I suspect you are a little confused in how a power supply source and appliances work

You have a 240VAC power source, and you have 240VAC rated appliances. At 240VAC they will draw XX Amps resulting in XX Watts being used
Also to accomplish this varying voltage I was thinking of using resistors but this resistance will add up so that the 240 volts goes through at extremely low amps. So how else could I accomplish lowering the voltage for any particular appliance besides using resistors?

Still don't see the need for a varying voltage ?
What are these other appliances you speak of and what is the voltage rating written on them ?cheers
Dave

Well you don't want a power surge where there is too much power at a given moment and the small circuit that goes back to the battery helps prevent that. The second inverter in that small circuit is so that the battery gets DC electricity. AC electricity going directly to a battery would be a problem since batteries are designed to transport DC electricity through a circuit. There might be some high voltage appliances that are not in the house itself but are still connected to my power plants like scientific and medical equipment, thus the reason for the varying voltage.

caters said:
Well you don't want a power surge where there is too much power at a given moment and the small circuit that goes back to the battery helps prevent that.

I can't see how it would ??

caters said:
The second inverter in that small circuit is so that the battery gets DC electricity. AC electricity going directly to a battery would be a problem since batteries are designed to transport DC electricity through a circuit.

Do you realize how pointless that is ?

you are going to supply 48V to an inverter to get 240V, just to feed some of it back to the battery ... that doesn't achieve anything other than waste lots of valuable power

caters said:
There might be some high voltage appliances that are not in the house itself but are still connected to my power plants like scientific and medical equipment, thus the reason for the varying voltage.

You need to decide what you are going to supply power to ... house appliances or something else .. not both
If you have equip that requires a higher voltage, then give them their own supply system

Unless you have an absolutely huge solar and wind farm array, costing many $10,000's then you are going to have very minimal power for supplying appliances
You need to start reading up on solar ( other systems ) power budgets. You will very quickly find that unless you throw huge sums of money at it, the amount of power you will generate will be relatively low.
Things that have heating elements ... eg .. toasters, space heaters all require huge amounts of power

cheers
Dave

On New Earth money is of little concern.

But why would the circuit from the inverter to the battery prevent power from going to the house? All I can see it doing is controlling how much power goes through at a given moment.

That way only some number of amps goes through to the house circuit at a given voltage and the rest of the amps go back to the battery at 48V DC. Then the battery can send those amps that went back to the battery to the inverter again and it continues like this in a cycle and these batteries are constantly replenished with new DC electricity from my water wheels, wind turbines, and solar panels.

The only time they wouldn't be constantly replenished is if there is a drought, either no wind or too much wind to operate my wind turbines,and it is very cloudy outside. An example of this is if we get thundersnow also known as a winter thunderstorm after the river has frozen up. In this circumstance the water wheel will not work because of the deep ice, the wind turbines won't work because of gusts above 60 MPH, and the solar panels won't work because the clouds are blocking sunlight from getting to the solar panels. This could potentially cause a power outage if the thundersnow lasts long enough.

Last edited:
It does not sound like you have anywhere near the electrical knowledge or experience to be wiring a house. If money is not a problem, you need to hire an electrician to do this wiring. And you need to get a building permit to do this, and have the permitting department inspect the final wiring when it is finished, to sign off that it has been done to your local building codes.

caters said:
That way only some number of amps goes through to the house circuit at a given voltage and the rest of the amps go back to the battery at 48V DC. Then the battery can send those amps that went back to the battery to the inverter again and it continues like this in a cycle and these batteries are constantly replenished with new DC electricity from my water wheels, wind turbines, and solar panels.

The only time they wouldn't be constantly replenished is if there is a drought, either no wind or too much wind to operate my wind turbines,and it is very cloudy outside. An example of this is if we get thundersnow also known as a winter thunderstorm after the river has frozen up. In this circumstance the water wheel will not work because of the deep ice, the wind turbines won't work because of gusts above 60 MPH, and the solar panels won't work because the clouds are blocking sunlight from getting to the solar panels. This could potentially cause a power outage if the thundersnow lasts long enough.

IMHO, this thread belongs in the Science Fiction and Fantasy section, as your electrical system does not appear to obey the rules of physics in our universe.
It almost sounds as if you are describing a new and unique electric-water analogy of the most absurd kind. Instead of water flowing through pipes, the water is pushed through troughs, and any "amps" not used, will be spilled on the floor. Fortunately, it doesn't work that way, in our universe.

Likes jim hardy, Averagesupernova, davenn and 1 other person
OmCheeto said:
IMHO, this thread belongs in the Science Fiction and Fantasy section, as your electrical system does not appear to obey the rules of physics in our universe.

OmCheeto, I totally agree with you :)

Likes OmCheeto
Okay, we seem to have a consensus. Thread is closed because of the dangerous activity (for the OP at his/her level of training).

1. What is the purpose of having both 48Vdc and 240Vac in house circuit wiring?

Having both 48Vdc and 240Vac in house circuit wiring allows for greater flexibility and efficiency in powering various electronic devices. The 48Vdc is typically used for low-voltage devices such as telecommunications equipment, while the 240Vac is used for higher voltage devices like appliances and lighting. This ensures that each device receives the appropriate amount of power, minimizing the risk of damage or malfunction.

2. Is it safe to have both 48Vdc and 240Vac in the same circuit?

Yes, it is safe to have both 48Vdc and 240Vac in the same circuit as long as proper safety measures are in place. This includes using the correct wiring and components, following electrical codes and regulations, and using appropriate protective devices such as fuses or circuit breakers.

3. How are 48Vdc and 240Vac circuits wired differently?

48Vdc and 240Vac circuits are wired differently due to the difference in voltage levels. 48Vdc circuits typically use smaller gauge wires and require less insulation, while 240Vac circuits use larger gauge wires and require more insulation to handle the higher voltage. Additionally, 48Vdc circuits may use a different type of outlet and plug compared to 240Vac circuits.

4. Can I convert 240Vac to 48Vdc for certain devices?

Yes, it is possible to convert 240Vac to 48Vdc for specific devices using a power supply unit (PSU). A PSU converts the incoming voltage to a different level, allowing it to power devices that require a different voltage. However, it is important to ensure that the PSU is properly rated and compatible with the device to prevent any damage.

5. Are there any special considerations for wiring a 48Vdc and 240Vac system?

Yes, there are a few special considerations when wiring a 48Vdc and 240Vac system. It is important to use separate wiring for each voltage level to prevent any potential hazards. Additionally, proper labeling and identification of the circuits is crucial to ensure safety and avoid confusion. It is also recommended to consult a licensed electrician for proper installation and to follow all electrical codes and regulations.