Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hovercraft/Fan/Air compression

1. May 19, 2015 #1
    Hi I'm working on a project where I would need to lift about 400 pounds about 1 inch off the ground and keep the momentum in order to manually move it. I thought about using four fans with a skit on each corner facing downward to allow for upward movement, but I'm not sure how much power I would need the fan to be at or what calculations I would need to figure out the specifications. I also thought of using four air compressors but was unsure if I could keep the continuous air flow. Any suggestions would be extremely helpful! Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2015 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

How come you don't just use 4 gimbaled wheels?

4. May 19, 2015 #3
    I'm working on a sanitary surface so wheels will ruin the integrity of the surface. That was my first thought as well.

5. May 19, 2015 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Well blowing high-velocity air at the surface may also contaminate it, especially as the air will be getting pulled past motors, etc.

Wheels can be cleaned fairly well -- this is done in medical operating rooms, for example. Perhaps the cart could even clean up after itself, with a disinfectant system trailing behind it...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook