Hovercraft/Fan/Air compression

In summary: Well blowing high-velocity air at the surface may also contaminate it, especially as the air will be getting pulled past motors, etc.Wheels can be cleaned fairly well -- this is done in medical operating rooms, for example. Perhaps the cart could even clean up after itself, with a disinfectant system trailing behind it...
rgb95
Hi I'm working on a project where I would need to lift about 400 pounds about 1 inch off the ground and keep the momentum in order to manually move it. I thought about using four fans with a skit on each corner facing downward to allow for upward movement, but I'm not sure how much power I would need the fan to be at or what calculations I would need to figure out the specifications. I also thought of using four air compressors but was unsure if I could keep the continuous air flow. Any suggestions would be extremely helpful! Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
rgb95 said:
Hi I'm working on a project where I would need to lift about 400 pounds about 1 inch off the ground and keep the momentum in order to manually move it. I thought about using four fans with a skit on each corner facing downward to allow for upward movement, but I'm not sure how much power I would need the fan to be at or what calculations I would need to figure out the specifications. I also thought of using four air compressors but was unsure if I could keep the continuous air flow. Any suggestions would be extremely helpful! Thank you!

Welcome to the PF.

How come you don't just use 4 gimbaled wheels?

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

How come you don't just use 4 gimbaled wheels?

I'm working on a sanitary surface so wheels will ruin the integrity of the surface. That was my first thought as well.

rgb95 said:
I'm working on a sanitary surface so wheels will ruin the integrity of the surface. That was my first thought as well.

Well blowing high-velocity air at the surface may also contaminate it, especially as the air will be getting pulled past motors, etc.

Wheels can be cleaned fairly well -- this is done in medical operating rooms, for example. Perhaps the cart could even clean up after itself, with a disinfectant system trailing behind it...

1. What is a hovercraft?

A hovercraft is a vehicle that is lifted off the ground by a cushion of air and propelled forward by a fan or air compression. It is able to travel over both land and water surfaces.

2. How does a hovercraft work?

A hovercraft works by using a fan or air compressor to push air underneath the vehicle, creating a cushion of air. This air cushion reduces friction and allows the hovercraft to move smoothly over surfaces without touching them.

3. What is the purpose of the fan in a hovercraft?

The fan in a hovercraft is responsible for creating the cushion of air that allows the vehicle to hover and move smoothly over surfaces. It also helps with steering and control of the hovercraft.

4. Can a hovercraft travel over water?

Yes, a hovercraft is designed to travel over both land and water surfaces. Its ability to hover over the water's surface allows it to travel at high speeds and navigate through various water conditions.

5. How is air compressed in a hovercraft?

In most hovercrafts, air is compressed using a centrifugal compressor. This type of compressor uses rotating impellers to compress air and create the necessary cushion of air for the hovercraft to operate.