How azimutal quantum number got its range value

In summary, the azimutal quantum number takes values from 0 to n-1 and was found through solving the Schrodinger equation in three dimensions using the algebraic theory of quantum mechanical angular momentum. Resources such as textbooks and online materials can provide more detail on this topic.
Avanthica
TL;DR Summary
it is known that azimutal quantum number takes the values from 0 to n-1. how did they find it ?
it is known that azimutal quantum number takes the values from 0 to n-1. how did they find it ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Avanthica said:
TL;DR Summary: it is known that azimutal quantum number takes the values from 0 to n-1. how did they find it ?

From the algebraic theory of quantum mechanical angular momentum, and solving the Schrodinger equation in three dimensions.

Likes topsquark
PeroK said:
From the algebraic theory of quantum mechanical angular momentum, and solving the Schrodinger equation in three dimensions.
Thank you so much sir for taking time to reply to my thread. Can you explain it in detail sir
or may i know where i can learn about this in detail

Avanthica said:
Thank you so much sir for taking time to reply to my thread. Can you explain it in detail sir
or may i know where i can learn about this in detail
Are you studying physics or chemistry at university?

PeroK said:
Are you studying physics or chemistry at university?
i am studying physics in an college affiliated to a univertisy

1. What is the significance of the azimutal quantum number?

The azimutal quantum number, denoted by the symbol l, is one of the four quantum numbers that describes the energy state of an electron in an atom. It determines the shape of the electron's orbital and the angular momentum of the electron.

2. How does the azimutal quantum number get its range value?

The range of values for the azimutal quantum number is determined by the principal quantum number (n). The range of l is from 0 to n-1. For example, if n=3, the possible values for l are 0, 1, and 2.

3. What does the range of the azimutal quantum number tell us?

The range of the azimutal quantum number tells us about the different types of orbitals present in an energy level. For example, when l=0, the orbital is an s orbital, when l=1, the orbital is a p orbital, and so on.

4. How does the azimutal quantum number affect electron configuration?

The azimutal quantum number plays a crucial role in determining the electron configuration of an atom. It determines the number of subshells in an energy level, which in turn determines the number of electrons that can occupy that energy level.

5. Can the azimutal quantum number have a decimal value?

No, the azimutal quantum number can only have integer values from 0 to n-1. This is because it represents the number of subshells in an energy level, and subshells cannot have fractional values.