How can an asteroid get caught at a Lagrange point without a "brake"?

In summary: My question is how can it happen with a neighbouring planet and how without a neighbouring planet?There is no definitive answer, but one possibility is that an asteroid might be perturbed by the gravitational pull of a neighboring planet. For example, if Jupiter were to pass by a planet, that planet's gravitational force might affect the asteroid. Or, if two asteroids were in a close orbit, one might be perturbed by the gravitational force of the other.
Orodruin said:
Your "actually orbited" implies a preference for reference frame.
Semantics, again: reading what you want into "actually".
(In the reference frame of the asteroid, are you "actually" not orbiting anything at all?)

Likes Runesmith
Astronomy news on Phys.org
James Demers said:
(In the reference frame of the asteroid, are you "actually" not orbiting anything at all?)
Which is why I am not using the word "actually" - you, on the other hand, are using it.

James Demers said:
Yes. We are wasting electrons clarifying (for all potential readers) the intended meaning.
Just specify a reference frame, and we can move on.

The Tumbling Bananas do not stop for lunch:
hildatroj.gif

Likes Dragrath, Runesmith and Orodruin
Orodruin said:
Objects at the Lagrange point, yes. Not objects orbiting the Lagrange point.

As far as I know, objects don't "orbit" Lagrange points. They orbit the Sun, at the Lagrange points.

Lagrange point asteroids don't orbit the Lagrange points - they oscillate in their orbits around the Sun as they are pertubed by the other planets, and due to the slight elliptical nature of Jupiter's orbit, which alters the point of balance at different parts of Jupiter's orbit. When the frame of reference is made stationary, that gives the illusion of an orbit. There is no gravitational well at Lagrange point to orbit.

Orodruin said:
It is also misleading to say that they have the same orbit as the smaller body if they are in the Lagrange point. This only holds in the limit where the ratio of the masses goes to zero.

Agreed. A typical asteroid, however is negligible in mass compared to Jupiter or the sun. For all practical purposes we can assume the ratio is zero. We can turn a simple three body problem into a 10^27 body problem, and discover that a Lagrange point Trojan has an orbit that is 3mm closer to the Sun than Jupiter's, but for practical purposes, there's no reason to do so, is there?

As far as the answer to the original question goes, the answer still remains the same - asteroids don't have to have "brakes" to get nudged into Lagrange points.

Runesmith said:
As far as I know, objects don't "orbit" Lagrange points. They orbit the Sun, at the Lagrange points.
Again, this is a matter of your reference frame. Would you also say that the Moon does not orbit the Earth? It is the same distinction.

Runesmith said:
Lagrange point asteroids don't orbit the Lagrange points - they oscillate in their orbits around the Sun as they are pertubed by the other planets
This is incorrect. The perturbations from other planets is not the main reason for the motion of the asteroids around the Lagrange points. This motion would be present also for test particles in the ideal two-body system. Again, the stability of orbits around the Lagrange points is discussed in Tong’s lecture notes.

Runesmith said:
There is no gravitational well at Lagrange point to orbit.
The Lagrange points are, by definition, the stationary points of the effective potential in the comoving frame (which includes the gravitational potentials and the centrifugal potential). L4 and L5 are saddle points of this potential. However, this is insufficient to determine the stability of orbits around the Lagrange points as we are dealing with a rotating frame where there are also other effects (Coriolis). You therefore need to do the full analysis (as presented in Tong) to determine the Lagrange point stability.

Runesmith said:
Agreed. A typical asteroid, however is negligible in mass compared to Jupiter or the sun. For all practical purposes we can assume the ratio is zero. We can turn a simple three body problem into a 10^27 body problem, and discover that a Lagrange point Trojan has an orbit that is 3mm closer to the Sun than Jupiter's, but for practical purposes, there's no reason to do so, is there?
I am talking about the Jupiter-Sun mass ratio. The Lagrange points L4 and L5 are on the Jupiter orbit only in the limit if Jupiter’s mass going to zero.

Likes gulfcoastfella
testing...

Hmm. There seems to be a general agreement that by some means, chance variation in orbits generated by various gravitational interactions, some asteroids are "captured"into the Trojan points. There is also the suggestion that, again through chance variation etc. some of them may periodically leave these points.

I thought it might be worthwhile looking at what's in the recent literature. Nesvorny et al (2013) Capture of Trojans by Jumping Jupiter comment that ". . we tested a possibility that the Trojans were captured during the early dynamical instability among the outer planets (aka the Nice model), when the semimajor axis of Jupiter was changing as a result of scattering encounters with an ice giant. The capture occurs in this model when Jupiter’s orbit and its Lagrange points become radially displaced in a scattering event and fall into a region populated by planetesimals (that previously evolved from their natal transplanetary disk to ∼5 AU during the instability). Our numerical simulations of the new capture model, hereafter jump capture, satisfactorily reproduce the orbital distribution of the Trojans and their total mass."

In an earlier paper Morbidelli et al (2005) Chaotic capture of Jupiter’s Trojan asteroids in the early Solar System noted that "the Trojans could have formed in more distant regions and been subsequently captured into co-orbital motion with Jupiter during the time when the giant planets migrated by removing neighbouring planetesimals9–12. The capture was possible during a short period of time, just after Jupiter and Saturn crossed their mutual 1:2 resonance, when the dynamics of the Trojan region were completely chaotic. "

These two papers seem to reflect a consensus view that the Trojans originated early in the solar system and that giant planet migration was implicated in their capture. Caveat: I have not done an exhaustive literature search by any means and the two quoted papers have Morbidelli as a co-author, so this may be reflecting a particular take on the matter and other views may exist.

Likes Dragrath
Orodruin said:
Again, this is a matter of your reference frame. Would you also say that the Moon does not orbit the Earth? It is the same distinction.
I'm thinking it isn't the same distinction. With the Earth-Moon system, one can model the motion of the two bodies around their barycentre using Newton's laws. I don't see how one could do the same with a system of an asteroid-Lagrange point, since the latter is not a physical entity and all mass is in the asteroid. In the latter case, the asteroid is orbiting the Sun-Earth barycentre.
The oscillating motion of the Trojans around the (nomen est omen) libration points would be in the same category as Lunar libration.

Bandersnatch said:
I'm thinking it isn't the same distinction. With the Earth-Moon system, one can model the motion of the two bodies around their barycentre using Newton's laws. I don't see how one could do the same with a system of an asteroid-Lagrange point, since the latter is not a physical entity and all mass is in the asteroid. In the latter case, the asteroid is orbiting the Sun-Earth barycentre.
I am not saying it is a question of looking at a barycenter. I am saying it is a question of having a periodic orbit around a particular point in the corotating system. This is also using Newton's laws, albeit in a non-inertial frame. Are you saying that the Moon is not orbiting the Earth? The case is exactly the same. In the corotating frame of the Earth and the Sun, the Moon orbits the Earth-Moon barycenter in a periodic fashion. In the corotating Sun-Jupiter system, the Trojans orbit the Lagrange points L4 and L5. Everything is described by Newton's laws of motion. The Lagrange point is just as much of a "physical entity" as the barycenter is, both are particular points in space that can be computed through a mathematical abstraction.