How can I apply extremely low forces to an object?

In summary: Just be sure to handle the hairspring and pointer gently or you'll end up with a broken meter.In summary, the old fashioned analog panel meter can be used to measure forces up to micro Newtons. It is easy to control the force with varying the applied voltage.
StrawberrySaturn
I want to be able to build or find a mechanical device that can apply very low force/pressure to a material. I have considered using a stepping motor with a flat needle tip but I can't think of a way to make this delicate enough to not destroy my sample. I am wanting to apply forces in the range of milli to micro Newtons.
I know that this can be done with nanoindentation machinery but I want something smaller/semi-portable that can apply a force and doesn't need to do anything else.
Any tips would be appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
An old style analog panel meter. Take off the faceplate and you have access to the moving needle. It's easy to control the force my varying the applied voltage.

Likes Baluncore, StrawberrySaturn and CWatters
Tom.G said:
An old style analog panel meter. Take off the faceplate and you have access to the moving needle. It's easy to control the force my varying the applied voltage.
This is a really interesting idea! Do you think I would be able to know the exact force I was exerting?

StrawberrySaturn said:
This is a really interesting idea! Do you think I would be able to know the exact force I was exerting?
Yes. The equations for force with a moving coil meter are well defined. The force is directly proportional to the meter current. You could calibrate the movement at maximum current then use one thousandth of that to apply the force. Avoid meter voltage because it is current that decides force and the resistance of the copper wire and hairsprings are temperature dependent.

Because the two hairsprings return the meter to zero you should operate the meter at that zero deflection. I guess you will attach a miniature tool at right angles to the tip of the pointer. It is then necessary to re-adjust the movement for static balance so that zero is independent of orientation. Think of the meter pointer as a lever. The longer the pointer the less the force at the tip.

Likes JBA
Oh! You want to know the actual force?:wideeyed:

You could always calibrate with known weights. It's probably easier than you think.

For instance knitting yarn is sold in a variety of weights with both the weight and length given. A common medium gauge ball of wool would be 100grams/200meters; two meters per gram; 1mG would be 2mm. The yarn comes as a single strand, two, three, four, or six strand, with three strand more common around here, so for greater resolution you can use one strand of a multi-strand yarn. There is also cotton cord and sewing thread available in large spools. I don't know if they are marked with both weight and length so they may take a little more work to get weight per unit length. Use either cotton or wool fibers for this, the static charge from synthetics will drive you crazy.

Other tips.
You need a draft free, rather clean, work area once the meter movement is opened. Both the internal clearances and available torque are tiny.
You may want some optical magnification when working on the meter. I use a pair of cheap reading glasse from the local drug store. I just put them on over my everyday tri-focals!
Two pair of fine tweezers are also handy, non-magnetic only.

1. How can I measure extremely low forces?

There are multiple techniques for measuring extremely low forces, including atomic force microscopy, optical tweezers, and microelectromechanical systems (MEMS) devices. These techniques use different principles, such as detecting changes in light intensity or capacitance, to accurately measure forces in the nanonewton range.

2. What is the significance of applying extremely low forces to an object?

Extremely low forces are important in various fields of science, including biophysics, materials science, and nanotechnology. These forces can reveal important information about the properties and behavior of materials, such as their elasticity, adhesion, and response to mechanical stress. They can also be used to manipulate and control objects at the nanoscale.

3. What are some methods for applying extremely low forces to an object?

Some common methods for applying extremely low forces include using a cantilever in atomic force microscopy, using an optical trap in optical tweezers, or using a MEMS device with microscale actuators. Other techniques, such as micropipette aspiration or magnetic tweezers, can also be used to apply forces in the nanonewton range.

4. Are there any limitations to applying extremely low forces to an object?

One limitation is the sensitivity of the equipment used to measure and apply these forces. Any external factors, such as vibrations or thermal fluctuations, can affect the accuracy of the measurements. Additionally, the properties of the object being manipulated, such as its size, shape, and surface properties, can also impact the results.

5. How can extremely low forces be used in practical applications?

Extremely low forces have many potential applications, such as in the development of new materials, creating nanoscale devices, and studying the mechanics of biological systems. For example, in the field of nanomedicine, these forces can be used to manipulate individual cells or molecules for targeted drug delivery. In materials science, they can be used to study and control the properties of thin films or nanocomposites.