How can i calculate torque by a motor

• Automotive
  • Thread starter aa u ss
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motor Torque
In summary, torque is a measure of rotational force and can be calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance from the axis of rotation. The primary factor that affects torque produced by a motor is the amount of current flowing through its windings. Other factors such as magnetic field strength, number of windings, and rotor-stator distance can also impact torque. Horsepower, on the other hand, measures the rate of work being done. While torque can be approximated using a motor's voltage and current, this may not be entirely accurate due to other factors at play.
aa u ss
I want to drive a trike but using dynamo at pedaling and the electrical power given to 400 watt motor
So any suggestion what i can do best

Engineering news on Phys.org
Why? What problem are you trying to solve?
Pedal > chain > wheel is much more efficient (up to 99% ) than pedal > dynamo > motor > wheel ( could be lower than 50 %)
It gets even worse if you include a battery.

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is typically measured in units of newton-meters (Nm) or pound-feet (lb-ft).

2. How do I calculate torque?

To calculate torque produced by a motor, you need to know the force applied (F) and the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied (r). Then, torque (T) can be calculated using the formula T = F x r.

3. What factors affect torque produced by a motor?

The primary factor that affects torque produced by a motor is the amount of current flowing through the motor's windings. Other factors that can impact torque include the strength of the magnetic field, the number of turns in the motor's windings, and the distance between the rotor and stator.

4. What is the difference between torque and horsepower?

While torque is a measure of rotational force, horsepower is a measure of the rate at which work is done. In simpler terms, torque refers to the force needed to move a certain object, while horsepower indicates how quickly that object can be moved.

5. Can I calculate torque by a motor's voltage and current?

Yes, you can calculate torque produced by a motor by using the formula T = V x I, where V is the voltage applied to the motor and I is the current flowing through it. However, this calculation may not be entirely accurate as it does not take into account other factors that affect torque production.