How can I contact a University for funding for a project.

In summary, the conversation discusses seeking funding from a university for a project on fuel cells. The individual plans on building two prototypes with an estimated cost of $75-$100 CDN. However, the other person advises against this as the university would have little to gain and suggests approaching the government instead. They are unsure of who to contact in the government for funding.
P-man
How can I contact a University for funding for a project. The project is on fuel cells, and I plan on building two prototypes; one following the instructions precisely, the other for experimenting with nickel catalysts. I have a estimate of $75-$100 CDN.

Thanks for any help,

Pierre.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Don't even bother; it won't happen. Your report would fold under peer review for any number of reasons (lack of logbook work, no PhD, not ISO/GLP certified, etc), and your research would be thrown out and discredited. The university would have nothing to show for giving you money. Even if you got amazing results, you would probably patent your ideas before the university could somehow profit from your discovery. Again, university has nothing to gain by giving you money.

I would look more towards government on this one. Not sure who you would ask though.

Yeah, I guess that contacting the government would be better. But who to contact?

1. How do I find potential funding sources at a university?

The best way to find potential funding sources at a university is to research the university's website and look for their office or department of research or grants. This department is typically responsible for managing funding opportunities for research projects. You can also reach out to professors or faculty members in your field of study, as they may have knowledge of specific funding sources that align with your project.

2. What are the criteria for applying for funding at a university?

The criteria for applying for funding at a university may vary depending on the specific funding source and the university's guidelines. Generally, you will need to have a well-defined research project with a clear objective and potential for significant contribution to your field of study. You may also need to meet certain eligibility requirements, such as being a current student or faculty member at the university.

3. Can I apply for funding at multiple universities for the same project?

Yes, you can apply for funding at multiple universities for the same project. However, it is important to carefully read the guidelines and restrictions of each funding source to ensure that you are not violating any rules or regulations. Some funding sources may have exclusivity clauses that prohibit applicants from seeking funding from other sources.

4. How do I submit a proposal for funding at a university?

The process for submitting a proposal for funding at a university may vary, but generally, you will need to follow these steps:

• Identify a potential funding source at the university.
  • Read and understand the guidelines and requirements for the funding opportunity.
  • Prepare a detailed proposal outlining your research project, objectives, methodology, timeline, and budget.
  • Submit your proposal according to the instructions provided by the university.

5. When is the best time to apply for funding at a university?

The best time to apply for funding at a university may vary depending on the specific funding source and the university's timeline. Some universities may have specific funding cycles or deadlines, while others may accept proposals on a rolling basis. It is important to thoroughly research the university and the funding source to determine the best time to submit your proposal. It is also important to allow enough time for the proposal to be reviewed and processed before your project start date.