How can I correctly write and display df and f' in a recent post?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
In summary, the first one didn't work because you inserted colour at several places. The second one didn't render because you used ( instead of {.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
In a recent post i tried to write/state the following ... ... ...

I am most interested in how/why we know that

\(\displaystyle \text{df} (h) = ( \)
\(\displaystyle
\text{df}_1 (h), / ... / ... / ... /
\text{df}_m (h) )
\)

... and also that ...\(\displaystyle f' (p) = \begin(bmatrix) f'_1 (p) \\ f'_2 (p) \\ . \\ . \\ . \\ f'_n (p) \end(bmatrix) \)

... ... ...
BUT ...... the above did not post and display correctly ...
... ... can someone inform me of the errors in the above ...Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
First one didn't work because you inserted colour at several places.

Code:
[MATH]\text{df} (h) =  ( [COLOR=#222222][FONT=Tahoma]\text{df}_1 (h), / ... / ... / ... /  [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#222222][FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=#222222][FONT=Tahoma]\text{df}_m (h) )[/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/MATH][LEFT][COLOR=#222222][FONT=Tahoma][LEFT][COLOR=#222222][FONT=Tahoma]

You wanted $df(h) = (df_1(h), \ldots, df_m(h))$ which is given by

df(h) = (df_1(h), \ldots, df_m(h))

I used \ldots for the dotting since that's more natural-looking.

The second one didn't render because you used ( instead of {. This

Code:
\displaystyle f' (p) = \begin{bmatrix} f'_1 (p) \\ f'_2 (p) \\ . \\ . \\ . \\ f'_n (p) \end{bmatrix}

$\displaystyle f' (p) = \begin{bmatrix} f'_1 (p) \\ f'_2 (p) \\ . \\ . \\ . \\ f'_m (p) \end{bmatrix}$

HTML:
$\displaystyle\mathbf{f}' (\mathbf{p}) = \begin{bmatrix} f'_1 (p) \\ f'_2 (p) \\  \vdots \\ f'_n (p) \end{bmatrix}$

$\displaystyle\mathbf{f}' (\mathbf{p}) = \begin{bmatrix} f'_1 (\mathbf{p}) \\ f'_2 (\mathbf{p}) \\ \vdots \\ f'_m (\mathbf{p}) \end{bmatrix}$

Using \vdots for the $\vdots$ and \mathbf{p} to write $\mathbf{p}$

MountEvariste said:
First one didn't work because you inserted colour at several places.

Code:
[MATH]\text{df} (h) =  ( [COLOR=#222222][FONT=Tahoma]\text{df}_1 (h), / ... / ... / ... /  [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#222222][FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=#222222][FONT=Tahoma]\text{df}_m (h) )[/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/MATH][LEFT][COLOR=#222222][FONT=Tahoma][LEFT][COLOR=#222222][FONT=Tahoma]

You wanted $df(h) = (df_1(h), \ldots, df_m(h))$ which is given by
I used \ldots for the dotting since that's more natural-looking.

The second one didn't render because you used ( instead of {. This

Code:
\displaystyle f' (p) = \begin{bmatrix} f'_1 (p) \\ f'_2 (p) \\ . \\ . \\ . \\ f'_n (p) \end{bmatrix}

$\displaystyle f' (p) = \begin{bmatrix} f'_1 (p) \\ f'_2 (p) \\ . \\ . \\ . \\ f'_m (p) \end{bmatrix}$

HTML:
$\displaystyle\mathbf{f}' (\mathbf{p}) = \begin{bmatrix} f'_1 (p) \\ f'_2 (p) \\  \vdots \\ f'_n (p) \end{bmatrix}$

$\displaystyle\mathbf{f}' (\mathbf{p}) = \begin{bmatrix} f'_1 (\mathbf{p}) \\ f'_2 (\mathbf{p}) \\ \vdots \\ f'_m (\mathbf{p}) \end{bmatrix}$

Using \vdots for the $\vdots$ and \mathbf{p} to write $\mathbf{p}$

Thanks for the help MountEvariste ...

Really appreciate your help ...

No idea how the colour codes got there ...

Peter

1. Can you help me with interpreting the results of my recent experiment?

Interpreting results can be complex and specific to your experiment. It is best to consult with a colleague or mentor who is familiar with your field of study for personalized help. Alternatively, you can also consult research articles or textbooks for guidance.

2. How do I determine the significance of my recent findings?

To determine significance, you will need to perform statistical analyses on your data. This may include calculating p-values, confidence intervals, or conducting hypothesis tests. It is important to consult with a statistician or use statistical software to ensure accuracy.

3. Can you assist me with writing a research paper or report based on my recent study?

I am not able to provide assistance with writing a research paper or report. It is best to consult with a writing center or obtain feedback from your colleagues or mentors. Additionally, following the guidelines and formatting requirements of your intended publication or institution can also be helpful.

4. How do I ensure the validity and reliability of my recent study?

To ensure validity and reliability, it is important to carefully design your experiment, use appropriate data collection methods, and analyze your data accurately. Additionally, conducting a pilot study or obtaining feedback from colleagues can also help to improve the validity and reliability of your study.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when conducting a recent study?

Some common mistakes to avoid when conducting a study include not properly controlling for confounding variables, not having a large enough sample size, not using appropriate statistical analyses, and not considering ethical considerations. It is important to carefully plan and design your study to minimize these potential mistakes.