How can I design an I/V Converter for a wide range of input currents?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11 replies · 6K views
hami1992
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
hello everyone

I am facing a problem in designing a current to voltage converter using op amp I have to convert the current in the range of 40 micro amps to a suitable voltage using a T network having 3 resistors on the feedback. Please guide me what component values I have to use and which op amp I should use.

Please reply urgent I would be very greatful

Thanks to all
 
Attachments
  • Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    7.1 KB · Views: 674
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1. What is a suitable voltage?
2. Why do you have to use a T network having 3 resistors on the feedback?
 
Well I also did not want to use three resistors on the feedback but my teacher said that you must use such a circuit , well I also don't have the idea that what should be the suitable voltage which I should get but I have to further use that voltage for working on LabView
 
I have now attached the figure of my circuit which I have been trying to use for current to voltage conversion, please have a look at it and let me know what i can do?

Thanks
 
What are the factors that determine what a suitable voltage is?
 
Well you can say that I need a voltage in the range of 1 to 5 volts
 
Can you explain the parameters you have specified for your current source? 40m sin(1,40,20k,0,0)
 
What you want is called "Transimpedance" amp. Your teacher is wrong. You do not need three resistors to do this.

To find the feed back resistor to transform 40uA to 5V full scale is:

[tex]R=\frac V I = \frac 5 {40\times 10^-6} =125K[/tex]

This is a very small resistor. You should be able to do it with even some basic op-amp. If you want to feel good about it, you can use a J-FET input op amp.

If you teacher disagree, tell him to join in this thread and I'll convince him. I design transimpedance to transform sub pico amps using feedback resistor greater than 10 giga ohm. That is not even uncommon. There is big disadvantage using 3 resistor network like your teacher want. You amplify the noise much much more and you increase the offset error. This is all well documented. There are very very good reason people don't do 3 resistors.

Have your teacher join in.
 
yungman said:
What you want is called "Transimpedance" amp. Your teacher is wrong. You do not need three resistors to do this.

To find the feed back resistor to transform 40uA to 5V full scale is:

[tex]R=\frac V I = \frac 5 {40\times 10^-6} =125K[/tex]

This is a very small resistor. You should be able to do it with even some basic op-amp. If you want to feel good about it, you can use a J-FET input op amp.

If you teacher disagree, tell him to join in this thread and I'll convince him. I design transimpedance to transform sub pico amps using feedback resistor greater than 10 giga ohm. That is not even uncommon. There is big disadvantage using 3 resistor network like your teacher want. You amplify the noise much much more and you increase the offset error. This is all well documented. There are very very good reason people don't do 3 resistors.

Have your teacher join in.

Except for offset current effects. Input current offsets are exacerbated by a single large resistor in lieu of a lower-impedance T network. Have to look at the op amp i(offset) and
e(offset) specs to find out. JFETS tend to have crummy offset voltages.

BTW I'm not the teacher ...
 
Last edited:
Thank you yungman I will see today what my teacher has to say about it :)
 
Hi
We need an I/V Converter which may handle the input currents of the order of 10 nanoamps to 50 microamperes (or at least 0.1microamperes to 25 microamperes) & will give a measurable/ sufficient voltage signal.
The scheme is like this, the Channel electron multiplier's anode will be directly fed to the I/V converter. The signal at I/V converter will come at max. 13kHz frequency.
Power supply or power consumption is not an issue.
Please reply as soon as possible, if anyone knows how to make an I/V Converter for this current range.
Regards,
Snehlata