How can I fix my PC speakers' hollow sound?

• Thread starter dwn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    pc Sound
In summary: Hz for the Klipsch...and the sony speakers are up to 50kHz. .The power requirements for the speakers is 120WThe frequency response is 50Hz-20kHz for the Klipsch...and the sony speakers are up to 50kHz.
dwn
Hello, I'm not sure if this is the place to post this, but I'm hoping that someone here will be able to help me.

I am trying to hookup two Sony SS-B1000 speakers to a Klipsch 5.1 system subwoofer (I have attached images of each for reference). I only want to setup a 2.1 system for my PC desktop. When I first set them last night they were working fine, but when I went to watch a video today the audio is hollow and only originates from the subwoofer. There is no sound coming from the two front speakers at all. I updated the Realtek Audio driver and checked any possible settings that may have changed, but nothing is working. I pulled the subwoofer away from any power sources in case that might be causing some interference. Still nothing seems to be working properly. Does anybody here have any idea what might be causing this issue?

Windows 7 OS
klipsch_promedia_2_1_1.gif

S196-0504-call03-ed.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
Also, I turned the volume almost all the way up on the subwoofer volume controller and the PC volume. When I did this, the audio test played through but it was quiet and distorted -- almost like scratchy noise.

ummm ... you are running amplified speakers off a subwoofer that probably already has an amp in it ?
chances are you have overloaded the 2 small speakers and killed them

Those small amplified speakers are designed to run off the headphone or similar low level output

Dave

The subwoofer is designed for computer system and the book shelf speakers are rated 8 ohm impedance. I had the speakers working and kept the volume low enough that it shouldn't have overloaded them. I have had a similar issue before with a different set of speakers which leads me to believe its a wiring or connection issue, something within my settings. Also, I hooked up the Klipsch speakers that came with the sub and I'm getting the same result.

The speakers were doing this when I first set them up, but then I got the audio to work after messing around with it...got lucky. But the next day they sounded hollow again.

I plugged in headphones to the audio output jack and the sound quality was okay.

Last edited:
you didn't really answer the Q --- recognise the possible problem

dwn said:
The subwoofer is designed for computer system

That may be so but I bet you anything that its outputs are designed to drive normal speakers ... NOT amplified speakers as you have used

dwn said:
and the book shelf speakers are rated 8 ohm impedance

again not totally relevant

what is the output level in Watts from the subwoofer ?Dave

I just tested the speakers with my DMM and the resistance is 8 ohms.

Power is 500 watt output.

The power requirements for the speakers is 120WThe frequency response is 25Hz - 20kHz for the Klipsch...and the sony speakers are up to 50kHz. . Could this be the problem? What does the frequency response mean?

Okay, so I've replaced the Klipsch sub with an Onkyo A-SV620 receiver. I have the two speakers hooked up to the remote port on the receiver, but I'm still getting extremely low audio output. I have 2 bose 901 series VI speakers hooked up to the main front speaker ports and they're working perfectly fine. Can't figure out why the heck the Sony's won't work. I even tried to hook them up to the rear ports on the receiver and adjusted the Realtek Audio Manager accordingly...still nothing. ;(

dwn said:
I have the two speakers hooked up to the remote port on the receiver, but I'm still getting extremely low audio output. I have 2 bose 901 series VI speakers hooked up to the main front speaker ports and they're working perfectly fine.

and what happens when you connect those 2 good working speakers to the remote port instead of the front speaker ports ?

dwn said:
I just tested the speakers with my DMM and the resistance is 8 ohms.

that just means there's a path in there somewhere, ... I can't tell if those sony speakers are singles or if there are tweeters in there also

Just note for your learning ... the 8 Ω you read with a DMM has nothing to do with the 8 Ω impedance of the speakers
Speakers have an impedance rating 4 Ω, 8 Ω, 16 Ω and a whole bunch of higher ratings
Impedance is the resistance to an AC voltage ( which is what comes out of the amplifier) ( a complex mix of capacitive and inductive reactance and frequency)
Resistance as you measured with your DMM is DC voltage Resistance and is very different and much simpler
Power is 500 watt output.

OK probably one of those crazy PMPO ( peak music power output) an advertising gimmick ;)
The power requirements for the speakers is 120WThe frequency response is 25Hz - 20kHz for the Klipsch...and the sony speakers are up to 50kHz. . Could this be the problem? What does the frequency response mean?

no not the problem. Freq response is just the freq range that the speaker is design rated to be able to reproduce faithfully at a given level before that level significantly decreases

spkr freq resp.JPG

from this plot, you can see that this speaker has a near no loss response from ~ a bit above 20 Hz to 20 kHz
below and above those frequencies, the response drops off dramatically

Dave

Likes dwn
I hooked up the other speaker to the system and there is no audio from the speaker. I connected the Sony speaker to the main front port and it works. I can't imagine that the remote port and the ports on the Klipsch are all bad. What could be causing the speakers not to work in the other ports? So confused ?:)

The Sony does have a tweeter on it. Here is the spec sheet from the Sony website : http://store.sony.com/performance-book-shelf-speakers-zid27-SSB1000/cat-27-catid-All-Speakers-and-Stereo-Components?_t=pfm%3Dcategory

Thank you for the information above...helped to clarify things for me. Sadly, I've taken a couple basic circuit classes in college...just goes to show nothing replaces real world experience. Could you recommend a good technical book for learning about sound electronics--something that goes into detail about amps, speakers, and components?

hi again :)

no problems we all had to start somewhere ... the biggest thing to learn when servicing electronics ( anything else for that matter) is to be methodical ...
work through the problem(s) by a process of elimination which is why I got you swapping speakers on the different ports ...
you can prove what speakers and what ports are good or faulty

so just confirm ...
1) The Sony and the Klipsch speakers work OK off the main port, but neither of them work off the remote port ?
2) The remote port is on the subwoofer box ?Dave

Hey Dave. I was methodical for about the first 10 minutes...then frustration set in.

1: Correct. I used the correct setting according to the Onkyo manual regarding the remote connection. As a result, I looked at the Realtek Audio Manager and I believe I had the correct setting here as well.
2: The port is on the Onkyo receiver.

To add, I did try plugging in both speakers to the rear ports of the receiver, but still did not get any output.

dwn said:
Hey Dave. I was methodical for about the first 10 minutes...then frustration set in.
LOL ;) you have to stick with it and when confusion sets in, just stand back and retrace steps

dwn said:
To add, I did try plugging in both speakers to the rear ports of the receiver, but still did not get any output.

OK is there a physical switch on the receiver that turns the rear ports on and off ?

No physical switch for the rear ports. However, looking at the manual it does say that in order to use Surround sound a center speaker must be attached..? I have attached copy of the file. Is surround mode the only way to use the extra set of speakers on the rear ports? I chose to use the remote speakers because I was hoping for better output than I would get from using the rear speaker port.

Attachments

• onkyo1.png
    onkyo1.png
    98.4 KB · Views: 516
dwn said:
However, looking at the manual it does say that in order to use Surround sound a center speaker must be attached..?

That isn't the way I read that ( tho maybe its possible) I read it as you won't get the full benefit of hearing surround sound if the centre speaker isn't attached and positioned properly. you could always try any ol' speaker from the centre output position and see if it affects whether audio comes out the rear or remote speakers

Can you please do a photo ( sharp and well lit) of the back of the unit that clearly shows ALL the speaker connections

1. Why do my PC speakers sound hollow?

There are a few possible reasons why your PC speakers may sound hollow. One possible reason is that the speakers are not properly connected or positioned, causing sound waves to bounce off of surfaces and create an echo. Another reason could be that the equalizer settings on your computer or in your media player are not properly adjusted, resulting in a lack of fullness in the sound. Additionally, the quality of your speakers may be poor, leading to a hollow sound.

2. How can I fix the hollow sound in my PC speakers?

To fix a hollow sound in your PC speakers, try adjusting the equalizer settings on your computer or media player to enhance the bass and treble levels. You can also try repositioning your speakers to reduce the echo effect. If the issue persists, consider upgrading to higher quality speakers.

3. Can a damaged speaker cause a hollow sound?

Yes, a damaged speaker can cause a hollow sound. If there is a tear or hole in the speaker cone, it can affect the quality of sound produced and result in a hollow or distorted sound. It is important to regularly check your speakers for any signs of damage and replace them if necessary.

4. Why do my PC speakers sound fine at low volume but hollow at high volume?

This could be due to the power output of your speakers. At low volumes, the speakers may not require much power to produce sound, so they can perform adequately. However, at higher volumes, the speakers may not be able to handle the increased power, resulting in a hollow sound. Consider upgrading to speakers with higher power output.

5. Can software affect the sound of my PC speakers?

Yes, the software you use can affect the sound of your PC speakers. Different media players and equalizer settings can alter the sound quality, as well as any software that may be running in the background and using up system resources. It is important to check your software settings and close any unnecessary programs to optimize your speaker's sound.