How Can I Get 12V for a DC Motor Using a 24V Supply?

In summary, you can use a regulator to get 12 volts for your dc motor, but you will need to measure the current draw to choose the right one.
StealthRay
Hi,

Can anyone help me to figure how to get 12V for the dc motor using 24V supply.
I would like to use a 12V supply but that would mean some changes to the wiring.

Instead of rewiring,I would like to just make do with the 24V supply.

I will need a series resistor (ranging from 1k - 10k)so that I can control the current to the motor.Since the dc motor internal resistance is very small (approx 100ohms),putting them in series will not get me 12V.Putting another resistor in parrallel with the motor will probably require a very huge resistance.

I thought of using zener diode in parallel with the dc motor but that will probably require the zener diode resistance to be greater than the motor coil so I can have most current going to the motor.

Can anyone recommend any other solution to get 12V for the dc motor but at the same time a large current to goes to the motor?

Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi Raymond.

You need a 12 volt regulator. The type will depend on the motor current.

12 V regulator.PNG

vk6kro said:
Hi Raymond.

You need a 12 volt regulator. The type will depend on the motor current.

View attachment 21337

Yes,thank you for sharing.But is there any other way to modify the circuit using the 24V supply?

Instead of the 12V regulator,I can also use the 12V supply directly.But I wish to make use of the 24V supply so the wiring would be more organized with all motors input using 24V supply.

Thank you.

Edit:I think I will just use the 12V regulator.This solution will at least simplify the wirings a little bit compared to the direct 12V supply. Thank you.

Last edited:
You can use resistors if you are sure the motor will draw constant current.

But why do that? Regulators are cheap and simple. Just measure your motor current at 12 volts under different load conditions and get a regulator that has plenty of current capability.
Mount it on a heatsink.

Just saw your edit. Good choice.

:)

ok,I will do that.Thank you for replying.

1. What is the purpose of using a 24V supply for a 12V dc motor?

The purpose of using a 24V supply for a 12V dc motor is to increase the motor's torque and efficiency. This is especially useful for applications that require heavy loads or high speeds.

2. Is it safe to use a 24V supply for a 12V dc motor?

Yes, it is safe to use a 24V supply for a 12V dc motor as long as the motor is designed to handle the higher voltage. It is important to check the motor's specifications before using a higher voltage supply.

3. How do I determine if a 12V dc motor can handle a 24V supply?

You can determine if a 12V dc motor can handle a 24V supply by checking the motor's specifications or by consulting the manufacturer. If the motor is not rated for a higher voltage, it is not recommended to use a 24V supply.

4. Can I use a voltage regulator to convert a 24V supply to 12V for a dc motor?

Yes, a voltage regulator can be used to convert a 24V supply to 12V for a dc motor. This will ensure that the motor receives a stable and appropriate voltage for optimal performance.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using a 24V supply for a 12V dc motor?

One potential drawback of using a 24V supply for a 12V dc motor is that it may cause the motor to run hotter and reduce its lifespan. This can be mitigated by using a voltage regulator or ensuring that the motor is rated for a higher voltage.