Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A How can i measure high magnetic fields?

1. Sep 11, 2017 #1
    Hello!

I've made a lot of research about measurement of high magnetic fields - such us 1T - 2T and I can't find sensors for this range.
    I'm looking for a hall sensor with which I will be able to measure 1T magnetic field with good accuracy - about 0.1 mT. Do you know about anything like that? The best for me will be sensor which is using some magistral to communicate.
    Or maybe you know about another methods of measurement magnetic fields like that?

Best regards
    Misiak

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2017 #2

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Rotating search coil .

4. Sep 11, 2017 #3

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

5. Sep 11, 2017 #4
    I can't see how can I add this to my system. And in addition, the electromagnes which I need to measure is supply with DC so probably the rotating coil won't work there.

6. Sep 11, 2017 #5

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A rotating coil magnetometer will work with AC or DC fields . They can be designed to measure a wide range of field strengths and can be made in small sizes if needs be .

7. Sep 11, 2017 #6

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How about using the field to bend an electron beam? The spot position on a CRT could indicate the field strength. That's an equivalent to the Hall effect.
    Then what about using a magnetic shunt to reduce the field at the sensor? That could be a cheap solution but would need calibrating.

8. Sep 11, 2017 #7

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It will be hard to find a Hall probe that will do this. You're asking for 500 ppm accuracy, and a) none of the devices proposed do that, b) ultimately a Hall probe gets you a Hall voltage and measuring voltages to this accuracy is difficult, and c) a Hall probe measures the field along one direction. This is essentially at the extreme upper end of what is possible. You will probably have to go to NMR.

I tried to do just this with a 1.5T magnet and failed - multiple Hall probes were in disagreement with each other and not reproducible. NMR did much better.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted