How Can I Prepare for the AP Physics C Mechanics Exam in 3 Weeks?

In summary, it is important to have a good grasp of calculus and differential equations for the AP Physics C Mechanics exam, as it involves using calculus to solve problems related to displacement, velocity, acceleration, angle, angular velocity and acceleration, forces, energy, momentum, center of mass, moment of inertia, and rocket equations. For the E&M section, calculus is also used for RC circuits, voltage and electric field, Coulomb's law, Gauss's law, and Ampere's law. It is recommended to supplement studying with a good textbook and practice problems, and to have a strong understanding of calculus and differential equations. It is also helpful to take online courses or use prep books with practice AP Physics C tests. Good luck on the exam.
government
I am not currently taking a physics class but decided a few months ago that I would self study the AP Physics C Mechanics exam (not the E&M), however I have been procrastinating ever since. The exam is scheduled for the 14th of May, and I haven't even begun to study for it. Could anyone here recommend a good textbook to use with plenty of examples, practice problems, and solutions? I found this site http://www.courserepository.org/ that has online courses for AP's but am worried that it won't be enough to prepare.

Does anyone know how much calculus is involved in the physics c: mechanics exam? As I was skimming the chapters in the online course, I didn't see very much, if any calculus; it appeared to be merely algebra problems. I am a high school senior who has already taken Calc I, II, and III and am now taking Diff Eq so I'm sure I can handle any math that is in this course.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think that if you've got a good enough grasp of calculus and differential equations, you ought to be able to handle the mechanics exam. They do give you a formula sheet

I'm a junior taking AP C, and this is (roughly) what we've used calculus for.
Mechanics:
-Using calculus to go between displacement, velocity and acceleration.
-Using calculus to go between angle, angular velocity, and angular acceleration.
-Setting up differential equations involving forces, especially drag forces and oscillations.
-Going between force and energy, and force and momentum.
-Finding center of mass and moment of inertia.
-Rocket equations.

E&M:
-RC circuits (and probably LC and RLC circuits too)
-Going between Voltage and Electric field
-Using Coulomb's law for finding fields of rings and other non-point charges.
-Gauss's law, and Ampere's law, nominally. On the AP exam, the problems can always be set up uniformly so the problems are pretty much reduced down to geometry.
-Also may be used with current density and current, in a similar fashion.

That's all I can remember. Good luck.

Last edited:
government said:
I am not currently taking a physics class but decided a few months ago that I would self study the AP Physics C Mechanics exam (not the E&M), however I have been procrastinating ever since. The exam is scheduled for the 14th of May, and I haven't even begun to study for it. Could anyone here recommend a good textbook to use with plenty of examples, practice problems, and solutions? I found this site http://www.courserepository.org/ that has online courses for AP's but am worried that it won't be enough to prepare.

Does anyone know how much calculus is involved in the physics c: mechanics exam? As I was skimming the chapters in the online course, I didn't see very much, if any calculus; it appeared to be merely algebra problems. I am a high school senior who has already taken Calc I, II, and III and am now taking Diff Eq so I'm sure I can handle any math that is in this course.

I too procrastinated in high school for the AP Physics C exams. I studied for both mechanics and e&m in a single week, studying 10 hours a day and scored 5's on both. I simply read the my course's book cover to cover in a continuous manner without stopping for problems, then went back and picked problems I didn't know an algorithm for and did them. I supplemented with a prep book with practice AP Physics C tests and solved all the problems in those. There's a lot of calculus in the free response sections but it fluctuates from year to year.

Last edited by a moderator:

I would suggest that the best way to prepare for the AP Physics C Mechanics exam in 3 weeks is to start studying as soon as possible. Three weeks may seem like a short amount of time, but with dedication and focus, it is possible to cover a significant amount of material.

Firstly, I would recommend finding a good textbook that covers the topics in the AP Physics C Mechanics exam. Look for one that has plenty of examples, practice problems, and solutions. You can also consult your school or local library for resources. It is important to choose a textbook that is aligned with the AP curriculum and has a good reputation for preparing students for the exam.

In addition to studying from a textbook, you can also use online resources such as the one you mentioned, http://www.courserepository.org/. However, I would suggest using it as a supplement to your textbook rather than relying on it solely for your preparation. Make sure to also use other reputable online resources, such as Khan Academy or AP Physics C review websites, to supplement your studies.

Regarding the level of calculus involved in the exam, it is important to note that the AP Physics C Mechanics exam is designed for students who have already completed calculus. However, as you have already taken calculus courses, you should have the necessary mathematical background to handle the problems on the exam. It is important to review your calculus concepts and make sure you are comfortable with them before moving on to the physics concepts.

In addition to studying the material, it is also important to practice solving problems. The AP Physics C Mechanics exam is heavily focused on problem-solving, and therefore it is crucial to practice as many problems as possible. Make use of the practice problems in your textbook, online resources, and past AP exam papers.

Lastly, it is important to stay focused and motivated during your study period. Create a study schedule and stick to it, and make sure to take breaks and rest when needed. Also, don't hesitate to seek help from your teachers, peers, or online communities if you encounter any difficulties or have any questions.

In conclusion, with proper planning, dedication, and focus, it is possible to prepare for the AP Physics C Mechanics exam in 3 weeks. Use a good textbook, supplement with online resources, practice solving problems, and stay motivated. Good luck on your exam!

1. What is AP Physics C?

AP Physics C is a high school level course that covers both mechanics and electricity and magnetism. It is typically taken by students who have already completed a year of introductory physics and are looking for a more in-depth understanding of the subject.

2. Can I really learn AP Physics C in just 3 weeks?

While it is not ideal to try to learn such a complex subject in a short period of time, it is possible to cover the material in 3 weeks with dedication and a strong background in math and physics. However, it is important to note that this may not be enough time to fully understand and retain the material.

3. What topics are covered in AP Physics C?

The course covers mechanics, which includes topics such as kinematics, forces, work and energy, and circular motion. It also covers electricity and magnetism, including topics such as electric fields, circuits, and electromagnetic induction.

4. How can I prepare for AP Physics C in 3 weeks?

To prepare for AP Physics C in 3 weeks, it is important to have a strong foundation in algebra, geometry, and trigonometry. It may also be helpful to review basic concepts in physics and practice solving problems. Additionally, it is important to have a focused and organized study plan and to seek help from teachers or tutors if needed.

5. What are the benefits of taking AP Physics C?

Taking AP Physics C can provide students with a deeper understanding of physics and can also potentially earn them college credit. It can also help develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are valuable in many fields. Additionally, completing a challenging course like AP Physics C can demonstrate academic rigor to colleges and universities.