How Can I Prepare for the AP Physics C Mechanics Exam in 3 Weeks?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 8K views
government
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
I am not currently taking a physics class but decided a few months ago that I would self study the AP Physics C Mechanics exam (not the E&M), however I have been procrastinating ever since. The exam is scheduled for the 14th of May, and I haven't even begun to study for it. Could anyone here recommend a good textbook to use with plenty of examples, practice problems, and solutions? I found this site http://www.courserepository.org/ that has online courses for AP's but am worried that it won't be enough to prepare.

Does anyone know how much calculus is involved in the physics c: mechanics exam? As I was skimming the chapters in the online course, I didn't see very much, if any calculus; it appeared to be merely algebra problems. I am a high school senior who has already taken Calc I, II, and III and am now taking Diff Eq so I'm sure I can handle any math that is in this course.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think that if you've got a good enough grasp of calculus and differential equations, you ought to be able to handle the mechanics exam. They do give you a formula sheet
 
I'm a junior taking AP C, and this is (roughly) what we've used calculus for.
Mechanics:
-Using calculus to go between displacement, velocity and acceleration.
-Using calculus to go between angle, angular velocity, and angular acceleration.
-Setting up differential equations involving forces, especially drag forces and oscillations.
-Going between force and energy, and force and momentum.
-Finding center of mass and moment of inertia.
-Rocket equations.

E&M:
-RC circuits (and probably LC and RLC circuits too)
-Going between Voltage and Electric field
-Using Coulomb's law for finding fields of rings and other non-point charges.
-Gauss's law, and Ampere's law, nominally. On the AP exam, the problems can always be set up uniformly so the problems are pretty much reduced down to geometry.
-Also may be used with current density and current, in a similar fashion.

That's all I can remember. Good luck.
 
Last edited:
government said:
I am not currently taking a physics class but decided a few months ago that I would self study the AP Physics C Mechanics exam (not the E&M), however I have been procrastinating ever since. The exam is scheduled for the 14th of May, and I haven't even begun to study for it. Could anyone here recommend a good textbook to use with plenty of examples, practice problems, and solutions? I found this site http://www.courserepository.org/ that has online courses for AP's but am worried that it won't be enough to prepare.

Does anyone know how much calculus is involved in the physics c: mechanics exam? As I was skimming the chapters in the online course, I didn't see very much, if any calculus; it appeared to be merely algebra problems. I am a high school senior who has already taken Calc I, II, and III and am now taking Diff Eq so I'm sure I can handle any math that is in this course.

I too procrastinated in high school for the AP Physics C exams. I studied for both mechanics and e&m in a single week, studying 10 hours a day and scored 5's on both. I simply read the my course's book cover to cover in a continuous manner without stopping for problems, then went back and picked problems I didn't know an algorithm for and did them. I supplemented with a prep book with practice AP Physics C tests and solved all the problems in those. There's a lot of calculus in the free response sections but it fluctuates from year to year.
 
Last edited by a moderator: