How can I put the equation \frac{a+ib}{1+a-ib} into the form a+bi?

In summary, the student is trying to solve a equation for z=a+bi. They are having difficulty with remembering how to solve for z=a+ib. They may be able to solve it another way by multiplying both sides by 1+a-ib.
Fellowroot

Homework Statement

Use the Definition Re(z1)=Re(z2), Im(z1)=Im(z2)to solve each equation for z=a+bi.

[itex]\frac{z}{1+\bar{z}}[/itex]=3+4i

Homework Equations

Sec 1.1 #42 from Complex Analysis 2nd ed from Dennis Zill

The Attempt at a Solution

I have solved several similar problems like this one in my text but I'm getting stuck on this one part.

The goal is to say:

[itex]\frac{z}{1+\bar{z}}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{a+ib}{1+a-ib}[/itex]

and put the right hand side of this equation into a real part and an imaginary part and equate the real and imaginary parts to the original one given.

So in short how to I put [itex]\frac{a+ib}{1+a-ib}[/itex] into a+bi form?

I have tried many conjugates but none have worked

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It might help if you carried out the division directly, i.e. remember that:

[tex]\frac{a+ib}{c+id} = \frac{ac+bd}{c^2+d^2} + i \frac{bc - ad}{c^2 + d^2}[/tex]

Just let a+1=c and b=d for your division.

Fellowroot said:
So in short how to I put [itex]\frac{a+ib}{1+a-ib}[/itex] into a+bi form?

That is not needed. Just substitute z=a+ib for z in the original equation, multiply both sides with the denominator, and compare both the real and imaginary parts on each sides.

ehild

ehild said:
That is not needed. Just substitute z=a+ib for z in the original equation, multiply both sides with the denominator, and compare both the real and imaginary parts on each sides.

ehild

Thank you ehild, I got it with your advice. For some reason I just forgot that the real and imaginary parts can have both a's and b's in it.

Another way to solve
[tex]\frac{a+ ib}{1+a- ib}= 3+ 4i[/tex]
is to multiply both sides by 1+ a- ib:
a+ ib= (3+ 4i)(1+ a- ib).

Multiply the right side out and equate real and imaginary parts.

1. What is the A+bi form in complex analysis?

The A+bi form, also known as the standard form, is a way of representing a complex number in the form of a+bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit. This form is used in complex analysis to simplify calculations and graphing of complex numbers.

2. How do you add or subtract complex numbers in A+bi form?

To add or subtract complex numbers in A+bi form, simply add or subtract the real parts and the imaginary parts separately. For example, (3+2i) + (5+4i) = (3+5) + (2+4)i = 8+6i. Similarly, to subtract, (3+2i) - (5+4i) = (3-5) + (2-4)i = -2-2i.

3. What is the modulus of a complex number in A+bi form?

The modulus of a complex number in A+bi form is the distance of the complex number from the origin on the complex plane. It is calculated by taking the square root of the sum of the squares of the real and imaginary parts, |a+bi| = √(a^2+b^2).

4. How do you multiply and divide complex numbers in A+bi form?

To multiply complex numbers in A+bi form, use the FOIL method (First, Outer, Inner, Last) just like with binomials. For example, (3+2i)(5+4i) = 3(5) + 3(4i) + 2i(5) + 2i(4i) = 15 + 12i + 10i + 8i^2 = 15 + 22i - 8 = 7 + 22i. To divide, first rationalize the denominator by multiplying both the numerator and denominator by the complex conjugate of the denominator, then simplify.

5. How is A+bi form used in solving equations in complex analysis?

In complex analysis, A+bi form is used to solve equations involving complex numbers. This form allows for easier manipulation and simplification of complex expressions, making it easier to find solutions to equations. Additionally, graphing complex numbers in A+bi form can help visualize solutions to equations on the complex plane.