How can I show b^2 > 24c in a cubic with one maximum and one minimum?

In summary, the problem is to show that for the cubic curve $$y = 8x^3 + bx^2 + cx + d$$ with two distinct points P and Q where the gradient is zero, we have the inequality $$b^2 > 24c$$. This can be proven by considering the discriminant $\Delta$ of the curve's second derivative and showing that it is greater than zero when the inequality holds. This confirms that there are indeed two points of zero gradient, one maximum and one minimum.
camrocker
Hello, been thinking on this one for a little while, and can't seem to figure it out. Problem statement is:

The cubic curve [tex]y = 8x^3 + bx^2 + cx + d[/tex] has two distinct points P and Q, where the gradient is zero.

Show that [tex] b^2 > 24c[/tex].

It seems simple enough, but I can't logic it out. This equation has two distinct points where gradient is zero, so one maximum and one minimum, right? I played around with an online graphing calculator and saw that [tex] b^2 > 24c[/tex] for two points of zero gradient is in fact true, but don't see how to mathematically prove/show this.

What direction should I be taking to show that [tex] b^2 > 24c[/tex]? Thanks for any tips!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The gradient of the curve $$y = 8x^3 + bx^2 + cx + d$$ is $$y' = 24x^2 + 2bx + c$$

Since it is a second order polynomial it has two roots when the discriminant $\Delta$ is $>0$.

$$\Delta>0 \Rightarrow 4b^2-4 \cdot 24 c>0 \Rightarrow 4b^2>4 \cdot 24c \Rightarrow b^2>24c$$

mathmari said:
The gradient of the curve $$y = 8x^3 + bx^2 + cx + d$$ is $$y' = 24x^2 + 2bx + c$$

Since it is a second order polynomial it has two roots when the discriminant $\Delta$ is $>0$.

$$\Delta>0 \Rightarrow 4b^2-4 \cdot 24 c>0 \Rightarrow 4b^2>4 \cdot 24c \Rightarrow b^2>24c$$

Thank you so much! I finally got to the discriminant point some time after posting this, but I tossed it aside because I forgot that b was 2b not just b, so I got [tex]b^2 > 96c[/tex]. Thanks for the help!

1. What is the definition of a cubic with one maximum and one minimum?

A cubic with one maximum and one minimum is a polynomial function of degree 3, also known as a cubic function, that has one point of maximum value and one point of minimum value on its graph.

2. How can I prove that b^2 > 24c in a cubic with one maximum and one minimum?

To prove that b^2 > 24c in a cubic with one maximum and one minimum, we can use the discriminant formula for quadratic equations, which is b^2 - 4ac. Since a cubic function has a degree of 3, the leading coefficient is a and the constant term is c. Therefore, the discriminant formula for a cubic function can be written as b^2 - 3ac. Since we know that a cubic with one maximum and one minimum has only one turning point, which means that the derivative of the function is equal to 0 at that point, we can set the derivative to 0 and solve for b^2. If b^2 is greater than 3ac, then it follows that b^2 > 24c.

3. Can you provide an example of a cubic with one maximum and one minimum where b^2 > 24c?

Yes, an example of a cubic with one maximum and one minimum where b^2 > 24c is f(x) = x^3 - 6x^2 + 9x + 2. The derivative of this function is f'(x) = 3x^2 - 12x + 9. Setting this derivative to 0 and solving for x, we get x = 1, which is the turning point of the function. Plugging this value of x into the original function, we get f(1) = 6, which is the maximum value. Using the discriminant formula, we get b^2 = 108, which is greater than 24c = 48.

4. How does b^2 > 24c affect the shape of the graph of a cubic with one maximum and one minimum?

B^2 > 24c affects the shape of the graph of a cubic with one maximum and one minimum by determining the concavity of the graph. Since b^2 > 24c indicates that the discriminant is positive, it means that the graph will have two distinct real roots and the graph will be concave up. This means that the graph will have one point of maximum value and one point of minimum value, as opposed to being a straight line or having no turning points.

5. Can b^2 be less than 24c in a cubic with one maximum and one minimum?

No, b^2 cannot be less than 24c in a cubic with one maximum and one minimum. This is because the discriminant formula, b^2 - 3ac, must be positive for a cubic function to have two distinct real roots and one point of maximum value and one point of minimum value. If b^2 was less than 24c, the discriminant would be negative and the function would not have these characteristics.