How can I solve the inequality (-3/x) < 3?

• Thread starter Qube
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, this person is having trouble solving an inequality problem and recommends using a sign table or graph to help.
Qube
Gold Member

Homework Statement

(-3/x) < 3

Homework Equations

Dividing/multiplying an inequality causes the inequality sign to change.

The Attempt at a Solution

I keep getting the wrong solution. I tried two methods. I cannot get the textbook solution (x < -1)

Method one:

-3 < 3x
-1 < x

Method two:

Divide both sides by negative one, resulting in:

3/x > -3
3 > -3x
-1 < x

Physics news on Phys.org
Qube said:

Homework Statement

(-3/x) < 3

Homework Equations

Dividing/multiplying an inequality causes the inequality sign to change.

The Attempt at a Solution

I keep getting the wrong solution. I tried two methods. I cannot get the textbook solution (x < -1)

Method one:

-3 < 3x
Here you have multiplied by x, which could be positive or negative (or zero). Since you don't know the sign of x, you need two cases - one where x is assumed to be positive and the other where x is assumed to be negative.
Qube said:
-1 < x

Method two:

Divide both sides by negative one, resulting in:

3/x > -3
3 > -3x
Again, you've multiplied by x, whose sign you don't know. Same comments as above apply here.
Qube said:
-1 < x

Likes 1 person
All right! Now I have -1 < x if x is positive and -1 > x if x is negative. How do I determine which is correct? Is the time for trial-and-error?

The book's answer is wrong or at least incomplete.

If x > 0, you get x > - 1. This means that x > 0 AND x > -1. Together, these mean that x > 0.
If x < 0, you get x < -1. This means that x < 0 AND x < -1. Together, these mean that x < -1.

If you look at the graph of y = -3/x, you'll see that it has two parts. For the curve on the left, -3/x < 3 when x < -1. For the curve on the right, -3/x < 3 for any x > 0.

So I guess I'll have to do a bit of trial and error to determine the exact intervals? As in, x > -1 is technically correct, but the best answer is that x is actually greater than 0 or x > 0?

How do you recommend solving these problems? I'm having massive trouble.

Just remember the rule, NEVER multiply or divide by x or an expression containing x, it could be negative. Read Mark44's reply again, the answer is: x < -1 OR x > 0.

Example: ##\frac{x+2}{x-3} > 0##. If ##x-3 > 0, x+2 > 0##, and if ##x-3 < 0, x+2 < 0##. Can you give the answer for this example?

Not to detract from what the others are saying, if you multiply by x, you are multiplying by an unknown value which can be +ve or -ve and will thus change the sign of the inequality (i.e. < might become >). So what you can do to prevent this is multiply instead by x2 as this will always be positive.

Then you can solve it as you would using normal algebraic means. You will just need to be careful when doing this as you might pick up an extra solution. But simply analyzing your solution set for the problem would lead you in the correct path.

Qube said:
All right! Now I have -1 < x if x is positive and -1 > x if x is negative. How do I determine which is correct? Is the time for trial-and-error?

Turn your inequality into one of the form
[tex] \frac{1}{x} < a[/tex]
or
[tex] \frac{1}{x} > a[/tex]
I will let you figure out which inequality applies, and what is the value of ##a##.

Anyway, once you have a simple inequality in ##1/x##, you can envision the graph ##y = 1/x##, and then figure out what the x-region must be for the corresponding inequality in y.

Note: this suggested method is safe; it never has you multiplying or dividing by an x of unknown sign, at least, not until the very end.

I think it's time to give the solution to clarify the issue:

You just have to do a case differentiation. First you can simplyfy the inequality by divding through [itex]-3[/itex]:
[tex]-\frac{3}{x} < 3 \Leftrightarrow \frac{1}{x}>-1.[/tex]
Now for [itex]x>0[/itex] the inequality is always fulfilled and for [itex]x<0[/itex] you get by multiplying with [itex](-x)>0[/itex]
[tex]-1>x \; \Leftrightarrow \; x<-1[/tex].
Thus the inequality is fulfilled for either [itex]x>0[/itex] or [itex]x<-1[/itex].

You can also try
[tex]
\begin{align*}
\frac{-3}{x} & < 3 \tag{Given} \\
\frac{-3}{x} \cdot x^2 & < 3x^2 \\
-3x & < 3^2 \\
0 & < 3x^2 + 3x \tag{Now factor to obtain}\\
0 & < 3x\left(x + 1\right)
\end{align*}
[/tex]

If you set up a sign table (or graph [itex] 3x(x+1) [/itex] you'll find that the inequality is solved
for numbers [itex] x < -1 [/itex] or [itex] x > 0 [/itex] as stated in other places. In short, it is not that one or the other of these two inequalities gives the solution set, is that the solution set consists of any number that satisfies either the first or the second of these two.

I think this problem is being made much harder than it really is.

[itex] \frac{-3}{x}<3 \\ \frac{-3}{x}-3<0 \\ \frac{1}{x}+1>0 \\ \frac{x+1}{x}>0 [/itex]

So [itex] x>0 [/itex] or [itex] x<-1 [/itex]

HS-Scientist said:

[itex] \frac{-3}{x}<3 \\ \frac{-3}{x}-3<0 \\ \frac{1}{x}+1>0 \\ \frac{x+1}{x}>0 [/itex]

You are doing exactly what I suggested the OP do, but he/she never reported back.

HS-Scientist said:

I would point out that your "So ..." requires the same amount of effort to verify as others have demonstrated, and it is likely that if a person is unsure of how to start the problem the notion that jumping from the final inequality to solution set is hardly obvious.

I do agree that this has been flogged enough.

Related to How can I solve the inequality (-3/x) < 3?

What does the expression (-3/x) < 3 mean?

The expression (-3/x) < 3 represents an inequality statement where the value of -3 divided by x is less than 3. This can also be written as -3/x is less than 3.

What are the possible values of x that would make the inequality (-3/x) < 3 true?

The values of x that make the inequality (-3/x) < 3 true are any negative numbers that are greater than -1. This is because when x is negative and greater than -1, the fraction -3/x will be less than 3. Additionally, any positive value of x will also make the inequality true.

How does the inequality (-3/x) < 3 relate to the concept of inequality in mathematics?

The inequality (-3/x) < 3 is a mathematical representation of a comparison between two values. In this case, it is comparing the value of -3/x and 3. An inequality statement means that one value is either greater than, less than, or not equal to the other value.

How can this inequality be solved for x?

To solve this inequality for x, we can multiply both sides by x. This will result in -3 being less than 3x. Then, we can divide both sides by 3 to isolate x. This will give us x > -1 as the solution.

What real-world applications does the inequality (-3/x) < 3 have?

This inequality can be used in various real-world situations such as calculating the maximum speed limit of a vehicle to ensure that it does not exceed 3 times the negative acceleration (-3) divided by the distance (x) traveled. It can also be used in finance to determine the maximum amount that can be borrowed at a given interest rate to ensure that the total interest does not exceed 3 times the amount borrowed.