How can I solve this integral using substitution and integration by parts?

• Thread starter erik05
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses two possible methods for solving the integral \int 3x \sqrt{5-2x} dx: substitution and integration by parts. The experts suggest using substitution, specifically setting u=5-2x and solving for x in terms of u, which would result in a simpler integral. However, some argue that integration by parts could also work. Ultimately, the conversation concludes that both methods are valid and can be used to solve the integral.
erik05
I seem to be having trouble on this one integral.Any help would be much appreciated.

[tex] \int 3x \sqrt{5-2x} dx [/tex]

I'm assuming the substitution rule applies to this so I have u=5-2x.
Then du=-2dx

And now I'm stuck. How can I get 3xdx to equal -2dx? Please and thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your substitution is good, try writing x in terms of u to deal with the "x" in 3xdx

Part integration,maybe...?

Daniel.

U-substitution won't work in the normal way of " u =, du = " ... Like Daniel said, you'll need to do integration by parts. Are you familiar with this method?

[tex]\int udv = uv - \int vdu[/tex]

Jameson

shmoe said:
Your substitution is good, try writing x in terms of u to deal with the "x" in 3xdx

yep, do this.

it'll be MUCH easier than integration by parts, which you may not even know yet.

Carrying out his substitution works just fine. By parts also work of course, but it's not necessary.

Fine, we'll do things your way.

[tex]\int 3x\sqrt{5-2x}dx[/tex]

[tex]u = 5 - 2x[/tex]

[tex]du = -2dx[/tex]

[tex]-\frac{du}{2} = dx[/tex]

That takes care of the second term, now for the first.

[tex]u = 5 - 2x[/tex]

[tex]2x = 5 - u[/tex]

[tex]x = \frac{5-u}{2}[/tex]

So now we have...

[tex]\int 3x\sqrt{5-2x}dx = -\frac{3}{4} \int (5-u) \sqrt{u} du[/tex]

I don't call that easier than integration by parts...

Last edited by a moderator:
Jameson said:
I don't call that easier than integration by parts...

The relative difficulty is a subjective thing. I object to telling the OP that he'd need integration by parts when his substitution idea is good.

By the way, you lost a pair of brackets in your last line and also a minus sign went missing when you solved for x.

Ah, I fixed them both. Now it's correct :)

Brackets around 5-u in the integral.

Yeah, fixed 'em. Thanks.

But my point is, even after all of that subsitution, the integral still can't be evaluated in one step. More substitution is needed.

No more substitution is needed to integrate that. Distribute over those brackets and go to town.

Ah, crap. Good point. Thought I had you. Alas, substitution will work. Can't win all of them.

Jameson

shmoe said:
Carrying out his substitution works just fine. By parts also work of course, but it's not necessary.

I didn't claim it was necessary for this example,just gave a suggestion,an advice.He could take or not. :wink:

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
I didn't claim it was necessary for this example,just gave a suggestion,an advice.He could take or not. :wink:

Of course! The necessary part wasn't aimed at you. Both methods are worth a stab, and proving they give the same answer is a nice bit of algebra practice (they look a bit different).

Related to How can I solve this integral using substitution and integration by parts?

What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve in a graph. It is used to find the total value of a function over a specific interval.

What is the process for solving an integral?

The process for solving an integral involves finding an antiderivative of the given function, evaluating it at the upper and lower limits of the interval, and subtracting the two values to find the area under the curve.

What is the meaning of the notation "√" in the integral?

The notation "√" represents the square root function in mathematics. In this integral, it indicates that the function inside the square root is being raised to the power of 1/2.

How do I solve this specific integral: 3x√(5-2x)dx?

To solve this integral, you can use the substitution method by letting u = 5-2x. This will allow you to rewrite the integral in terms of u, making it easier to find the antiderivative and evaluate the integral.

What are some real-life applications of integrals?

Integrals have many applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. They are used to calculate areas, volumes, and other physical quantities. In economics, integrals are used to find the total revenue and total cost of a business. In statistics, integrals are used to calculate probabilities and expected values.